fan light bulbs hard to remove

I have a ceiling fan with a light kit (Casablanca) and the light bulbs are very hard to remove. Standard base, small globe bulb. I've been using GE brand bulbs. The last time it was so hard to unscrew that I actually twisted the bulb socket right out, and they are about impossible to reassemble due to the location of the locknut. Since the wiring at the bulb sockets was hard as a rock, I replaced the light kit with a Hunter that was identical. Since the bulbs were still very difficult to remove, I looked at the bulbs themselves, and they appear to have a rough surface on the threads, I suppose to keep them from vibrating out by themselves. My wife doesn't dare change a bulb for fear it will break in her hand before coming out. I've tried installing them loosely, but don't want to cause an arc situation, either.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on how other people have dealt with this.

Reply to
John

There was a huge thread a few weeks back about screwing lightbulbs. I believe you need a special torque wrench.

Reply to
Bruno

I'm having a similar problem with a hanging kitchen table fixture. Ceramic tubular decorations with the sockets deep inside... turn the bulb, the socket turns... holding the nut on the outside doesn't stop the rotation. Can't get two hands up inside to hold socket and bulb simultaneously :-(

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Reply to
Art Todesco

Reply to
nospambob

I've heard of using some paraffin to lube the threads. There's got to be a good answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Try soap on the threads

Reply to
Paul

I was visiting a friend who was fighting with a bulb in one of those fixtures. I thought he was joking until I gave it a try. I suggested spraying some silicone lube in there. He did and the bulb came right out again. Of course that was 2 minutes later. I'd think the silicone grease would last longer. They sell some silicone grease at Radio Shack for heat conductivity between a power transistor and heatsink. I'd think that would work if you cant find the others.

This must be what they call PROGRESS (making life easier for mankind). It used to be simple to change a lightbulb....... not no more!!!

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

soap contains water, leading to rust.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

If you are using bulbs with aluminum threaded bases, try finding ones with brass bases. Those aluminum bases gall like crazy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The proper lube to use would be "dielectric grease" which will add the needed lubricant to ease a bulb out after it's blown out, improve connectivity, and aid in resisting corrosion.

Hope this helps, Steve

Reply to
Steven Banks