Fahrenheit vs. Celsius

Page 1 of 3

When I go to England, I hear this stuff about Rugby players being tougher than American Football players. Eventually I came to ignore it. The same is true of Fahrenheit and Celsius. One is not better than the other. They are both interval data which means that while the numbers may have significance, they are just man made scales for ease of use by people.
Note that 100F is not twice as hot as 50F nor is 100C twice as hot as 50C. For that you have to convert to Kelvin. It's interesting that we never hear people arguing for worldwide adoption of the Kelvin scale!
Dick

Fahrenheit has the advantage of being a little more precise. Between freezing and boiling there are 180 degrees while on Celsius there are only 100.
But you knew that.
I won't even tread in the quagmire of inches and feet versus meters.
Or on the domestic front miles per hour versus knots.
If we all got together on this what would the publishers of conversion tables do?
Charlie
Charlie Bress wrote:

Hmmm, You don't like decimal points? If I take the same test instrument that measures in both F and C, as many do, and it it reads out 70.0F and 21.11 that the 21.11 is less precise?

temperature measuring instrument that is calibrated to hundredths of a degree in Celsius. In non-lab environments they must be exceedingly rare. I don't think you could characterize the as being "many".
Charlie Who is fond of decimal points. Some of them are my best friends.
On 10 Nov 2006 16:28:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The classic difference between precision and accuracy. You may have an inaccurate measurement of temperature, precise out to two decimal places.
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:19:12 -0500, "Charlie Bress"

How many cubits are in a furlong?? <G>

You didn't say which furlong or which cubit but... 1 furlong [international] = 453.081 081 081 cubit [Roman]
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:27:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

OK, how much wood would a woodchuck...oh never mind. <BG>

None, they're all on the outside. <G>
Speed is kilometers per hour not knots which is a nautical term Charlie Bress wrote:

[snip]
Actually, knots is a standard international speed measurement, nautical miles per hour, and is used for velocity measurments for aircraft, aviation weather wind speeds, ships, ocean currents, etc. One knot = approximately 1.16 miles per hour.
So the OP was correct in including knots with mph in the discussion of speed.
Charlie Bress wrote:

Real accuracy is from binary. You must have 6 fingers or something?

6 Fingers on each hand? We do have remnants of a duodecimal (base 12) system. There's things like dozen (12^1), gross (12^2) and mass (12^3).

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:15:35 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@smart.net (Dick Adams) wrote:

That is only south American rugby players, they eat their dead

ROTFLMOA - cause it's true!
Dick
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:15:35 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@smart.net (Dick Adams) wrote:

Who is Kelvin?
snipped-for-privacy@ISP.com wrote in news:7igal2tm7vl1t1t9gc7jnii449afkufcn8@ 4ax.com:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Thomson,_1st_Baron_Kelvin
snipped-for-privacy@ISP.com wrote:

He's one cool guy.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Make that absolutely one cool guy. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
(Dick Adams)

Or, he could be one absolute hottie. :-)