Exterior Recessed Lighting Fixtures?

Hiya Folks, I currently have a covered patio that appears to be built with 2x8 or 2x10 joists and the ceiling is sheetrock. The drywall texture is falling off in chunks so I'm thinking of tearing down the sheetrock and installing some form of wood planking (T&G probably). Anyway, I figure while I've got it opened up, I might as well add some lighting and was thinking of recessed fixtures. I've done a bit of searching and don't see any that are rated for exterior use. I'm wondering if a) They even make such a beast or b) if all recessed fixtures will suffice given they're "sealed up" in the ceiling. I have no plans to insulate the space so IC or not doesn't really matter to me. If such a fixture is made, I'd really appreciate a link or lead on it. Thanks much. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

If you can stand the sticker shock there are fully waterproof light fixtures made for marine use. But those might not, despite high quality and superior materials, be allowed by an electrical inspector who goes "by the book". On the other hand if your concerns are simply about keeping a bit of rain out of the fixture, there are some water-resistant fixtures made for use in, for example, showers. You may have to search for one of those that look right in the outdoors.

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks John. That's probably more what I'm looking for (the shower versions). I've got one in one of my showers now so I know they're made but you're right, aesthetics play a part here. I may just head to one of the large lighting shops here in town and see what they have, albeit pricey I'm sure. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

It is really very simple, once you already know the answer...

In the US there are a few basic ratings: Damp location, Wet location, Submersible

"Damp location" covers your needs. It means water is around but it not hit the bulb itself in any quantity. Most recessed lights are damp rated and should say so on the lable!!

"Wet location" is for showers and area that will get spray cleaned.

Yes there are submersible lights, both for ponds that people don't touch and for swimming pools. $$ and worth it!

RickR

James "Cubby" Culberts> Hiya Folks,

Reply to
RickR

The installation as you have described it is considered a "Damp" location. Your recessed light fixtures only need to be rated for damp locations. They will not be subjected directly to moisture. I know that several of Halo's models are damp rated.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks Folks! So Damp rated it is. Now that I know the terminology, they seem a lot easier to find! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

If it is any consolation, whatever you find in your pricey lighting shop will probably be far less than one of the marine suppliers would want for a truly waterproof fixture.

Reply to
John McGaw