Exterior Painting Question

We have contractors painting the exterior of our house. The primer is on and they have begun putting on the final coat of the trim. The day they put the trim on, they were here only 2-3 hrs. They claimed they put 2 coats of paint on within that time frame. The can states to allow

4 hrs drying time between each coat. The painter stated that since it was 90 degrees that day, the paint dryed quickly. Personally, it was 78 degrees that day. We are sure of this because we have been closely watching the temperature. I want to make sure the preparation and painting is done properly. Is it common practice and is it still acceptable to put paint on so soon after the first coat? The last time we had the house painted we were burned big time.
Reply to
wipeout64

Hmmm, I don't paint when that hot. Ideal temp for painting is 15 deg. C.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's done all the time. If the painted surface is exposed to the sun, it's probably ready for a second coat within 30 minutes or less.

Reply to
M.Paul

Painting in the sun or a hot surface is a big No, just read any exterior paint can instruction.

So I guess you were not home, Its hard to say, how many guys worked, how much trim.

For proof Sherwin Williams will send a sample wood piece to their lab and measure milimeter build thickness, it might cost you, and you have to say is SW paint. But 3 hrs on a house, 2 coats?

Reply to
m Ransley

If you still have the paint, you could always take a scrap peice, do the same procedure and see if they look the same.

Also, if you're concerned, I'd just approach the painter, and ask him to sign off on the 2nd coat and that he'll warranty the work for the length of time the paint says (within reason). Really, I think if you were that concerned about their trust, you should have hung around and checked, but you can't unscramble eggs, now.

Reply to
info

Sure fire way to end up with blistering and peeling because the paints dries on the surface without allowing evap of solvent beneath. Should never paint in hot sun for that reason. Instructions on paint labels are usually there for a good reason.

Reply to
Norminn

Thanks for all your input. The paint not drying thouroughly prior to another coat concerns me. Thanks for confirming this.

Norm> > It's done all the time. If the painted surface is exposed to the sun, it's

Reply to
wipeout64

Here in Arizona we paint through the summer in tempratures exeeding 110 degrees. We don't have problems regaurdless of what the can says.

cm

Reply to
cm

Reply to