Exploding lightbulbs

I have recently had the same light bulb explode twice inside an exterior light fixture. I have never seen lightbulbs explode like this before, it was just as if the top blew off (only a small piece on one and most of the top of the other light). Another interesting thing was that one of the bulbs that had exploded was filled with ice which might indicate that water can get into the light fixture. Is it possible that I am getting water into the light fixture and this cold water onto the hot lightbulb surface dont mix very well. I dont really see where the water can get into the fixture though. Do I have some other high/low voltage problems that could cause this? Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Mike

"...one of the bulbs that had exploded was filled with ice..."

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
JerryMouse

Actually no, not kidding... I had to turn off the circuit breaker once I saw it because it scared me a little. It wasn't completely full, just enough so that you could see it inside of the bulb.

Reply to
Mike

You've been watching too many old Three Stooges shorts. "A Plumbing We Will Go" comes immediately to mind...

"No wonder these pipes won't work...they're filled with wires!" ($1 Curly)

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

exterior

the bulbs

water can

If a drop of water hits a hot bulb - it will explode. Find the water source.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

HI Mike,

You say it's an exterior light fixture, and you only get ice if there is a) moisture and B) cold temp so my bet is you're getting some water in there somehow. It may be condensation, but sounds more like a real leak of some sort. What sort of fixture is it? Is it exposed to the weather and rain? If so then you are probably going to have to figure out where the water is entering. If it's a recessed or otherwise protected lamp, they you may have an even bigger problem such as a roof leak of a broken pipe that is supplying the moisture. Either way, you need to eliminate it before your problem is solved.

Oh, and yes, it will only take a few drops of water on a hot bulb to cause it to explode.

Good luck!

Reply to
mwlogs

This is Turtle.

Yea, You never heard of Icicle lites. They have been out for years now.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Uh, that's: "No wonduh duh wattah don't woik, der's woyers in dese pipes!"

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Drip 1: Explosion. Drip 2: Inside the light bulb with its top exploded off. You see where this is going?

Reply to
Dan Hartung

I had the same problem with my bulbs in an exterior light post I was using the yellow bulbs the help keep the bug count down. After about 2 or 3 popped in a very short time I took the time to write the manufacturer. Received a reply asking for details and how much the damages were.

I replied I was just passing it on as information and that the bulbs had not caused any damages. They asked that I send them a sample of a blown bulb, told them I had just trashed them and they said they would send me a box to return one if it happened again (which it did). Also they sent me a box of bulbs later on and these have had zero problems with being used outside.

Still don't know why or what happened but yes it was the tops that blew out, they were bug lights, but once the manufacturer found out about it, they resolved the problem immediately and far above my expectations. Just tossing in my 2 cents!

Reply to
Lee Bray

One can get bulbs, usually intended for food service applications, that are covered with a plastic coating, such that if the bulb breaks,it doesn't shatter.

Yes, you should fix the problem with water coming into the fixture, but this will make it safer and easier to replace the bulbs in the mean time.

Reply to
John Hines

Water drips on to the light bulb and it shatters the glass and burns out, then water drips in the bulb and since there is no light to warm anything it freezes. Fix the fixture.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You did say "water inside the bulb" itself, right? For that to happen you had to have water in the fixture first. And how the bulb could get water into it is a puzzle. Were both the fixture and bulb made in China? I suppose the slight vacuum in the bulb could suck in moisture, especially when it cooled. This would require multiple defects, which is very possible with Chinese sourcing.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

I have recently had the same light bulb explode twice inside an exterior

Ya' know what? if you have had the same light bulb blow twice, that means you have fixed it once! nataS

Reply to
natasrof1

The bulb that exploded was filled with water. I would assume, that he means what was left of the bulb, inside the fixture, was full of water.

Reply to
John Hines