Drilling into driveway

I'm about to take a 12" X 12" square out of my driveway by drilling a series of half-inch holes with a rotary hammer drill. My concern is that I may hit rebar as I'm doing this, and how do I handle that situatioin? The slab is about 4" thick and 40 years old. What are the chances of there being rebar in there in the first place? Was rebar normally used in concrete driveways in the 60"s?

Reply to
Norm Dion

My guess is you'll probably hit wire mesh, but not rebar. Instead of the rotary hammer thing, why not head down to the local tool rental shop & get a concrete saw? Home Depot may even rent you one. A lot less time & effort and a much cleaner cut than what you're planning. Plus, it'll go through any reinforcing.

Joe F.

Reply to
rb608

And when you return the saw, rent the electric jackhammer and you'll make short (and fun) work of the demo...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Just get a jack hammer and forget the drill. Start at one corner and hammer away. If you need a clean line then get a concrete saw and cut it first.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

If you plan to re-pour concrete into this hole make sure that 12 x 12 is large enough to get an impact drill in. You'll need to drill holes to insert the new rebar in.

RB

EvoDawg wrote:

Reply to
RB