Expired Grass Seed Any Good?

Page 2 of 2

Phisherman wrote:

So what if only 66% (say) sprout? Just increase the seeding density a little. (BTW, really need well over 20 (more like 100) to get a decent idea of a germination rate).
After you wash your hair, sprinkle the grass seed all over your head. See if the grass sprouts.

I worked for the John Deere Landscapes. JD would sell irrigation fittings/lighting etc at deep discounts, if the items didn't move. They attempted to move some of their grass seed the same way. One of the contractors complained to the state agriculture. They came in, cited JD for selling expired grass seed. JD had to pay a huge fine, and every since then, threw their seed away.
Doesn't answer your question, but I'm sure the hardware store is unaware what they opened the door for. They would be better off giving it away, then trying to make a couple bucks.

Interesting point. Who knows what the various state laws are. Reminds me of the time about 10 years ago here in NJ when a radio station ran some kind of promo where they rolled back the price of gasoline at a certain service station so that it was like half price. In no time the state regulators were there to enforce some law from 75 years ago that is on the books which says you can't sell gas at less than cost.