Expired Grass Seed Any Good?

Here's the issue with old seed. Let's say you got some old seed that tests 20% germination. You will need 5X the amount of new seed to get the proper coverage. That's fine, but every seed has a percentage of weed content which, unlike the grass seed, will stay closer to 100% germination (crab grass seed will keep well for 20 years or more).

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote: ...

It would take being _VERY_ old indeed, to have a certified seed batch have only 20% germination rate....the OP is talking about last year. If it's down enough to be detectable I'd be surprised...

--

Reply to
dpb

It will be a waste of money buying any of them if they're not the right grass mixtures or blends for your area. You have to decide based upon the conditions for the area you intend to seed. Pick a grass mixture or blend that will do well in that area. BTW, a blend is made up of two or more varieties of the same grass. Example: a Kentucky bluegrass blend consisting of, say Excalibur Kentucky bluegrass, Champagne Kentucky blue, and Bordeaux Kentucky blue.

Yes here, for example, it has been observed, that Kentucky Blue is not the best choice for our coolish climate. Also it is much more prone, it has been reported on various phone in garden radio shows, to cinch bug damage. Cinch bug itself was never native to this area but has somehow come to be recognized as a problem in recent years during a building boom!

And, it is suspected, developers, builders and residents using inappropriate seeds! Possibly bought at a big box store without any reference to its suitability! As always stick to plants/grass/trees more native or at least 'suitable' for ones area/climate. And just don't depend on a store clerk to say "Yes we sell lots of this to local residents", as a recommendation!

Reply to
terry

Depends if the grass seed had proper storage.

Reply to
Phisherman