Expanding foam products (Great Stuff from HD, etc)

Awl--

Does anyone have experience with this type stuff? I bought some Great Stuff from HD, and was not all that impressed with it. I was expecting it to expand a lot more.

Great Stuff would be ok for the occasional crack/joint/missing brick, etc., but I will need quite a bit more to quick-fix a fallen garage stucco/plaster/lathe ceiling that I have structurally repaired, but just want to quickly even/level out the surface, without going through all the masonry travails. I will even glue up styrofoam sheets to take up some of the volume, but will still have considerable volume to fill in.

Any experience/leads? tia.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

The garage usually requires fire rated walls. Why don't you use dry wall to fill up the space?

Reply to
John Grabowski

I think I did use some dry wall, but from previous water damage, the existing ceiling is so convoluted that I sort of just wanted to skim the whole thing out in this foam stuff, deep and shallow. I'm looking to get through this as easily as possible. Old house, garage is actually the basement of the house. I'm hoping there are better products than not-so Great Stuff.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

The product is not designed to skim coat anything, but fill cracks up to a certain width. I don't know why you think foam will work, but here is a source for foam than can be sprayed on a surface.

Use at your own risk. Maybe if you posted a picture of what you are trying to fix someone can come up with a better solution.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:e204i.1816$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Here we go again, someone who wants to do anything that is easy, cheap and wrong rather than do it right. A garage in the basement of a house REQUIRES a fire rated ceiling to prevent fumes and flames from spreading from the garage to the rest of the house and killing the occupants. NO FOAM will do this, they all burn. Do it properly, the original plaster ceiling probably met the fire code when installed, you now need to replace it with fire rated drywall, many places require 2 layers with all joints staggered as well as taped and mudded. Some codes require flame proof seals around all perforations such as pipes. You should check your local requirements, they are there to protect you.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:2u04i.1818$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Reply to
EXT

When it comes time to sell the place, you are gonna have to fix it right anyway, or the buyer's inspector will flag it. By 'structural repair' do you mean you screwed the lathe back to the joists? At this point, rather than screw around trying to sculpt a ceiling, I'd either overlay the whole thing with 5/8 fire-rated rock (if it was flat enough for that), or rip the whole mess down and rock the bare joists with the fire-rated rock. (which will make any loose insulation fall down, too.) Mud and tape and paint to suit. Texture in a garage is a bad idea, IMHO, since those walls never stay clean, and texture ain't scrubbable before a repaint. Benefit of rerocking clean framing, is that it is a great time to put modern insulation in that space, which will make floors above feel a lot warmer.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:e204i.1816$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Great Stuff works well, but there are 3 different kinds - the stuff that is "minimally" expanding (for doors & windows), the normal stuff which is probably what you got, and the stuff for really big gaps.

Reply to
Bob M.

Thanks, that is good to know, and explains it. god forbid anyone from HD woulda told me this.... Or that they would carry all three....

For the tongue-clucking house police, I've come up with an even easier solution, almost as non-code. I have a cupla bags of fiberglass insultion scraps, so I'm just gonna pack all the crevices with this, and laminate that area of the ceiling w/ leftover 1/8" paneling, and paint to match--as if anything matches to begin with.

If it makes the House Police feel any better, the garage is not used for cars, anyway.

Arrest me....

This whole notion of House Perfection, and of "Doin it right" is, to me, an effing HGTV conspiracy. There have been numerous articles written, and I think research studies done and this fukn *obsession* we have w/ our goddamm lawns and houses. They have become gargantuan symbolic badges of, basically, my dick is bigger than your dick. It is, immho (2nd m= maladjusted), insanity.

HGTV is a significant factor in what has turned real estate into a predatory phenom, where now the "average" person feeds off the less fortunate average person. Kids, in the major metropolitan areas, will never be able to leave their parents houses--or 1 BR apt, as the case may be. Which makes sed predation now economic cannibalism.

The other factors are Malthus and Darwin. And, of course, effing Carlton Shits.

Burned in my brain is the HGTV episode where this effing twit just had to have a bathroom with a 3-story domed Roman ceiling. Man, her dumps musta just been spectacular

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:SoC4i.140$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Just how many cars do you have on your front lawn anyhow?

Reply to
Noozer

Not the whole cars, silly. Just the seats. :) With a boombox and coolers full of beer..... of course.

Very few people use their garages for cars. Mostly they're used for illegal apartments, shops (me), or storage. Except in Manhattan, of course. And in a few places in the more uppity parts of Westchester, where it is against effing town ordinances to park on the street. goodgawd.... And even there, most people make do with driveways.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Case in point, the poor sucker who ends up buying your ever-so- cleverly-repaired house.

--Eric Smith

Reply to
Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Mars

Case in point, the poor sucker who ends up buying your ever-so- cleverly-repaired house. ___________

Actually, not the case in point, as you completely missed the point. You missed the barn.

The poor sucker who buys my house won't be so poor--my house increased in value by over a factor of 10 in 10 years, and if the Yupster Plague, whose epicenter is in Manhattan, continues to propagate, it'll be up by a factor of 20 in no time soon.

When I sell, *then* I will be a part of that cannibalistic process. Unless the buyer is an effing lawyer et al--different species, donchaknow.

But, I will give a credit for fixing said ceiling, iffin that makes you feel any better.

In the meantime, ahma try dat Great Stuff. My alternative plans proved not to be so hot.

Ultimately, if the space were cleared, the easiest thing to do would be to re-rock the ceiling. But clearing idn't an option now.

Sheesh, you people must be quite addicted to HGTV.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®