Electrician question

Page 1 of 2

This is a true story.
My cousin is licensed electrician who does mostly residential work. He is coming over to connect 4 home runs into the panel. I've got all the arc-fault breakers. The home runs are ready for him right near the panel. He refuses to charge me for the job, nor will he tell me how much he would get for it at a non-relatives house I'd like to write him a check anyways. Hey, I'll give it to his wife. She'll take it.
Any ideas how much a job like this would cost? Thanks.

$100 is a nice round number. That is a reasonable "trip charge". It sounds like the work itself would be a minimum charge thing.

I think he's refusing to accept any money, so that you will hire someone else the next time. By not charging, you end up reluctant to call him again, because now any such request will be automatically asking him to work for free. He doesn't want you to call him for any more electrical work. Thank him profusely for this job and take the hint.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

Or, more likely, thank him profusely w/ a beer or similar gesture and accept the favor in the vein it was offered and return it somehow in the future...

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:44:38 -0500, Jack wrote:

That could be for any number of reasons.
See how long he's there working for and do him a favor of similar magnitude sometime.
Thanks for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I will do a favor of equal magnitude for each one of you.

Jack wrote:

WHEN!!!???
<chuckle>
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:47:43 -0500, Jack wrote:

Well, you replied to my post, so we're even :-)
Bother. You coulda come over and replaced my front brakes, I'm still sore.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Try using a jack next time.
"Jack". That's some how a familiar term. I should google that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I would give them either a $100 gift certificate to a restaurant you know they like, or a $100 gift cert for the family at WalMart or another department store where they shop. Cash is always nice, but with the gift cert, they can all go get something each.
Steve

The cost of the job is not the issue. Paying back a favor is. Drop by his house with a couple of huge-ass steaks and a bottle of really nice wine, and say you were going to cook them up but something came up and they're going to go to waste, so if he could help you out and take them off of your hands you'd greatly appreciate it.
RicodJour wrote: ...

Agreed, for sure...

But why on earth make up the lame story, though? Just give 'em the 'thank you' in appreciation...

You are free to present it as you wish, but the idea is to separate it from being considered a form of repayment, no?
RicodJour wrote:

"Thanks" doesn't do it??? :)

Are you trying to convince me to be you, or what? That's a hard sell.

Drop by his house with a couple of McD's cheeseburgers and a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20. Next time he will tell you the cost and take a check...that is if there is a next time.
Red Green posted for all of us...

This would be prior to him doing the work correct...