Electrician question

This is a true story.

My cousin is licensed electrician who does mostly residential work. He is coming over to connect 4 home runs into the panel. I've got all the arc-fault breakers. The home runs are ready for him right near the panel. He refuses to charge me for the job, nor will he tell me how much he would get for it at a non-relatives house I'd like to write him a check anyways. Hey, I'll give it to his wife. She'll take it.

Any ideas how much a job like this would cost? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

$100 is a nice round number. That is a reasonable "trip charge". It sounds like the work itself would be a minimum charge thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

I think he's refusing to accept any money, so that you will hire someone else the next time. By not charging, you end up reluctant to call him again, because now any such request will be automatically asking him to work for free. He doesn't want you to call him for any more electrical work. Thank him profusely for this job and take the hint.

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

Or, more likely, thank him profusely w/ a beer or similar gesture and accept the favor in the vein it was offered and return it somehow in the future...

Reply to
dpb

That could be for any number of reasons.

See how long he's there working for and do him a favor of similar magnitude sometime.

Reply to
Jules

Thanks for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. I will do a favor of equal magnitude for each one of you.

Reply to
Jack

WHEN!!!???

--

Reply to
dpb

Well, you replied to my post, so we're even :-)

Reply to
Jules

I would give them either a $100 gift certificate to a restaurant you know they like, or a $100 gift cert for the family at WalMart or another department store where they shop. Cash is always nice, but with the gift cert, they can all go get something each.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The cost of the job is not the issue. Paying back a favor is. Drop by his house with a couple of huge-ass steaks and a bottle of really nice wine, and say you were going to cook them up but something came up and they're going to go to waste, so if he could help you out and take them off of your hands you'd greatly appreciate it.

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote: ...

Agreed, for sure...

But why on earth make up the lame story, though? Just give 'em the 'thank you' in appreciation...

--

Reply to
dpb

You are free to present it as you wish, but the idea is to separate it from being considered a form of repayment, no?

RicodJour

"Thanks" doesn't do it??? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Just pay it forward. Do someone else a favor, and it will come around later. He's already refused money, I think it's bad manners to insist.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bother. You coulda come over and replaced my front brakes, I'm still sore.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you trying to convince me to be you, or what? That's a hard sell.

RicodJour

Pay him by the hour. Pay him what you would expect to work for.

Reply to
Metspitzer

A large box of candy, or goodies like pie, cake, etc. would make me want to come over and do more work!

But basically accept his kindness and say thank you! People who are giving types like to give and do things for other people. The kindness they show other people comes back in many different forms. Money is not necessary!

(This concept is impossible for the younger "me generation" people to understand!)

Reply to
Bill

I agree with the idea of a home baked cake ... but I always agree with cake. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Ah, a man after my own heart! My sister knows that when I'm slaving on her house, if she brings home some sweets I consider myself the lucky one.

I am very glad that when I'm on the other side of the table the people don't know that Entenmann's Rich Frosted donuts are my Kryptonite. I'd cave on just about anything if they had an open box on their side of the table! ;)

RicodJour