Electrical Wire Query

Page 1 of 2
Looking to replace power lead wires on several floor/table lamps. Considering extending original length of wire in order to remove need for extension cords. Is there a method of determining the safest maximum length of lampcord for a given power draw ex. 150W bulb, 3 x 60W + 150W tri-light, etc.)?
--
Monroe

6 Ft. Since outlets are at maximum 12 ft intervals along the walls, 6ft should do.
I see your point, and read the other posts re: Underwriters 6 ft max, but am wondering what is technically (re: electricity) the safest length for lampcords. I need to run cords from the walls to a central point in a room that is about 15 ft distance from the nearest plug.
Hmmm . . . if cord length is an electrical safety issue, perhaps installing flush-mount receptacles on the floor in this central area is the answer?

Monroe

On 27 Jul 2003, Monroe wrote:

There is no technical/electrical issue there, the difference between 6' and 15' is nothing to be concerned about. Now 6' and 60'?, maybe. But that would only come into play if you were running somethin a lot heavier than a lightbulb. HTH.
--
TP

I thought the code was a duplex every 4 ft., Gary...but that's just a guess.
Have a nice week...
Trent
On 28 Jul 2003, Trent wrote:

Not just to you, but to all of the "code is code is code" folks who have a cut and dry answer for everything around here...
*REALITY CHECK* ------------- There are millions of older homes in this country.
Many of them do not meet code for things like grounding outlets, standardized heights for outlets and switches, and ceiling boxes made to hold a brand new ceiling fan.
A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT OF THEM don't even come close to meeting code for outlets spaced 4' along every wall.
What kind of fantasy world do you folks live in???
--
TP

"Guessing" at what meets code is imprudent. Better to look it up. :-)
Code requirement is that no point on a wall may be more than 6 feet, measured horizontally along the wall, from a receptacle. There's an exception for walls less than 24 inches, and the required spacing is closer in kitchens.
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:27:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

As everyone can see, Dougie...there was no need to look it up! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent

Apparently you needed to, Trentie, since you clearly didn't know.
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:58:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

No...I didn't need to look it up...you did it for me. I sure hope yer right...at least on one subject. Anyway...thanks Dougie buddy!
P.S. I *TOLD* you I didn't know...DUH!!
ROTFLMAO !!!
I don't know everything, BTW...except that you really ARE a troll!
Have a nice week...
Trent

Which of course causes one to wonder why you posted anything in the first place...
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:33:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

YOU'RE the only one who wonders, Dougie!
So...to ease your mind...
I like to chum up with buddies like you, Dougie!! I just do it for the Christian camaraderie! <grin>
Have a nice week...
Trent

Sorry, Trentie, but I'm married.

I'm not confusing anything.........you're the one who doesn't seem to grasp the concept that the _LAMP_ cord should be no longer than 6 feet..........it's common knowledge (to some of us anyway) that in houses wired today (and for the last 30 years) that no point along a wall shall be no more than 6 feet from an outlet BECAUSE the lamp cords are limited to 6 feet. THIS requirement is what prevents the use of extension cords.

Like I said, if a point along a wall is more than 6 feet from an outlet, another outlet should have been installed in the first place.
The hazards of using extension cords have been common knowledge for years, try educating yourself.

I would recommend extending the circuit to the air conditioner using some Wiremold: http://www.wiremold.com/diy/product_install/nonmetallic/index.html All you need is a Wiremold starter box, one strip of wiring channel, one Wiremold deep box, some THHN building wire, and a receptacle (about $20 to $25 at Lowe's or Home Depot) Installation time should be about one hour. While heavy duty extension cords are available for air conditioners, it's not a good practice to use them as a replacement for permanent wiring.

years,
Thanks for the reminder and link. That looks a lot like some fittings from Home Depot that I used a few years ago with success. In this case, I plugged in this 4 foot extension cord before blocking the outlet with two fully loaded 5 drawer file cabinets. To do anything, I have to risk a hernia to move them first. But, with safety first in mind, I will extend the outlet as you suggest.
Stoney
volts500 wrote:

snip

That's for kitchen counters, where appliances tend to have shorter cords.
The 6/12 Ft is for wall recpticles elsewhere.

Underwriters laboratory uses 6' as the max for lamp cord. I'm not sure why.

Longer cords present a tripping hazard.

why.
This is Turtle.
I alway knew it was something else that was making them say keep a short cord on it. The wire size is not that important for if it starts to smoke. You can just unplug it. Now if you trip over it. You can get killed that way. Thanks for the info here.
TURTLE