electrical service monitor?

While sitting here with my new generator running I'm thinking about the power coming back. Currently the only way I know it is live is to throw the transfer switch. If its not there then I switch it back. But, in the mean time, all the other devices have stopped and must restart again which causes a large, albeit short, load.

Is anyone aware of a device or circuit that can bridge the main line feed on the service side of the main breaker that would glow/illuminate when energized? I remember similar circuits using neon bulbs that provided similar indication.

Suggestions please? Thanks.

Reply to
BobMCT

Watch the neighbors house.

Ideally, a transfer switch would have a loud buzzer, wired to the line side. A good electrician can wire a neon bulb, easy enough.

.

Is anyone aware of a device or circuit that can bridge the main line feed on the service side of the main breaker that would glow/illuminate when energized? I remember similar circuits using neon bulbs that provided similar indication.

Suggestions please? Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BobMCT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Such a thing is called a "lamp" or a "Bell". Connect it to the incoming line, and switch when you see the light or hear the sound......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

If you have one of those digital meters, go look at it. If you see numbers, the power is on

Reply to
gfretwell

I just look out the window at some neighbors house who don't have a generator. When their lights go on, I know power is back on.

Reply to
hrhofmann