Electrical question about plugs... please

If I have a receptacle that has one prong [of a worthless plug] stuck in it... can I remove it with pliers safely, or do I have to turn off the power first?
Don't laugh... I'm an over the hill female who doesn't mind showing her ignorance. ;) TIA...
Barbara
Barbara,
It would be much more safe to kill the power to that receptacle. Plug something like a radio into the other half of the same receptacle and go kill breakers until the radio turns off. Once it is off, use a pliers to pull out the broken off plug. If you cannot remove it, you may need to replace the receptacle.

DanG wrote:

Thanks so much, I guessed that would be the response. I have a lamp plugged in the other half... so I'll use that as an indicator, if I can't find one of my portable radios. Appreciate the quick reply! :) bj

breaker; however (just for your education) if it is the large part, it is completely harmless, as it is simply attached at the other end to the ground. Even the small part is harmless if you use pliers with rubber coated handles. 999 times out of 1000 electricity is much safer than you might think. But there is always that 1000th time...

I think you are too generous with those numbers, more like 99 out of 100 I would think. Its too easy to screw up even if you know what your doing ... someone could have wired it backwards, screw driver slipped or Murphy looking over your shoulders.
Toller wrote:

IF THE OUTLET WAS WIRED PROPERLY. I have been surprised more than once.

Bill

All the responses have good ideas, but why not just open the main breaker and be sure? You need to know how to do this to kill all power in your home and you you need to have a flashlight if one is needed. Don Young

Don Young wrote:

I want to thank all of you for the great responses, and I am pretty well acquainted with my main breaker box. I've been here almost 20 yrs., and have found my box/circuits to be marked pretty clearly.
I have switched a space heater to that outlet in the past few days, so I think it will confirm that I've thrown the right switch, without shutting the whole box off. Also I think I have rubber handled pliers. Just haven't had time to fool with it yet. :)
Thanks again everyone!
Barbara

Its an old electrician's trick performed for human safety. When grabbing anything that might be electrically hot, first put the other hand in a back pocket. If you don't have a back pocket, then just grab your ass. This way the accidental flow of electricity will not flow through your heart.
Any implication beyond electrical concepts is simply coincidental.
chicagofan wrote:

ALWAYS turn off the power to do something like this.
I have seen poorly connected plugs weld themselves into outlets. If this is the case, it may not come out. On the other hand, sometimes they just break off too. Outlets cost a dollar, so it would be wise to replace it if the prong dont easily come out. Of course the electrician would cost a lot more, but maybe you got a handy friend who would do it for a nice meal and/or a 6 pack.
Hey, I could use a good meal and a 6 pack....... Where do you live <lol>.
Mark Dont even think of removing it with the power on !!!
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh and the advice. I live in an Atlanta suburb, and would have to buy the *food* and the beer. ;) bj

Dang it, you're too far away. Buying food and beer is cheaper than an electrician though :)
Mark