Electrical Question

Page 2 of 2
Andy wrote:

If you are having work done and have a permit, they why can't the inspector inspect it before it's covered up? Not much different than the wiring that gets sheetrock put up over it, after which no one can see it either.

They can and are doing that already. In fact, IMO, not having an approved and easy way to do a splice that can be covered up is exactly what leads to the above. Like in the OP case, I wouldn't be surprised to find that they decide to just do an illegal splice, without any box, protection, etc., because the only legal way can be a major PIA. In many cases, it's not like it;s $5 and half an hour more work. And I fail to see the overwhelming need to have the box accessible.

No problem, I'm fine with that. Leave it available to be seen by the inspector. Once it passes, then cover it up, just like the cover plates go on everything else. What's the safety problem with that?

bathroom. Grounded romex feeding 2-wire. (at least he used shielded connectors under the tape.) Previous homeowner twit had hung the counter outlet off the switched fan/medicine cabinet circuit. (Via an open top box in the attic, with loose wire nuts and no strain reliefs, but I digress...) Ungrounded GFCI, which I dislike on principle. I got lucky, and was able to fish a fresh feed from an underutilized outlet string in the bedroom next door. (Lucky, because with the low overhead in the attic, and the old hard lumber, drilling a new hole to fish a wire from above was not an option.)
I'll likely be finding and fixing stupid stuff this guy did until I sell this place in a few years. Fully half the grounded outlets were wired backwards.
aem sends...

it (or if it burns down first(not to say that you are doing anything wrong at all) )! Unless you pulled a permit, and have ALL your work inspected, or are licensed, the insurance company will cite you as the cause of the fire.