Electrical Problem (Kinda OT, maybe)

Just venting a bit. Ignore at will. :)

A couple of months ago one of the breakers on the main electrical box tripped. I thought I'd reset it but it took several tries before it actually "took".

This particular circuit controls (oddly) the overhead lights in the master bathroom where the tub and toilet are AND all the electrical outlets in the garage. Where the freezer is. That last time this happened I finally got it reset. In the meantime, I'd moved as much frozen food into the freezer in the side-by-side fridge as I could fit. I stored some things in the neighbor's freezer.

This time, I've moved what I can fit to the fridge/freezer already. Because this time, that breaker absolutely will *not* reset. I've tried at least 20 times now. I think the breaker switch itself needs to be replaced.

I've got a home warranty so I put in a service request. And left a message with the electricians they have a contract with. Here we are, two days before Thanksgiving. Even if I'm not cooking for company I stand to lose a goodly amount of food. I sure hope they can get someone out here tomorrow. I *know* this electrical company isn't going to be working on Thanksgiving. Possibly not even the day after. If they can't get to it tomorrow I'll be hunting down an electrican who can. I'm not sure I'll be able to find one.

The good news is, I procrastinated about going to the grocery store yesterday. :) And today it was raining like mad. I'm not fond of loading a lot of groceries into the car when it's pouring down rain. So at least I won't lose as much food as I might if I'd already gone to Publix. :)

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

Would you tell us how your electrician resolved your electrical problem?

If it were me, I would keep having trouble with that circuit until they came out and put the freezer on it's own circuit.

I would complain every time I tried to blow dry my hair, and the breaker tripped until they fixed the problem. The problem will only show up when the freezer kicks on at the same time you are using the outlet in the bathroom. This may be rare, but I consider the circuit overloaded. You should explain what you have in alt.home.repair.

Metspitzer

breakers that trip a lot for cause, are designed to get more sensitive as t hey age. This from the westinghose breaker division in vanport pa. I servic ed machines there many years ago it was a fascinating place. i was offered a job there but didnt take it, which was a good thing within a year they be gan major layoffs.

in any case its easy to replace a breaker, as long as you always turn off t he main breaker first..

Reply to
bob haller

This sounds like a house that may have a ground fault breaker for the bath and outside recepticals. Not that it is actually a ground fault problem, but some houses are wired that way for GF protection.

Even if not, the problem is the the home owner putting a freezer on an outlet not designed for it. There should be a seperate outlet for the freezer. Same as for the refrigerator.

The hair dryer is probaly drawing close to the rated current of the breaker. Would you say there is a problem with the wiring if two high current devices were plugged into the same receptical or maybe in seperate ones that are on the same circuit ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have not read the policy, but I doubt that is covered. Home warranties will cover thing that break. Nothing is broken, just don't plug in what overloads the circuit.

What if you had the same warranty on your clothes. Then you gained 50 pounds and your pants no longer fit. Not their problem. Nor is a freezer and hair dryer on the same circuit, IMO.

Yes, it is overload and easily fixed. Unplug one of the appliances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is no excuse NOT to have a separate circuit for a freezer

Reply to
clare

For the record, the hair dryer is a hypothetical added by me to point out a real world problem that may not exist in her house.

The reason I added it was that she has a home owner's warranty. I think it should be covered. (this may or may not be true)

Reply to
Metspitzer

It might just be the freezer is the problem.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

is the offending breaker a GFCI type? they often cause intermittent nuisance tripping

Reply to
bob haller

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is (It should be). It was also raining that day. (The water could be a cause) Even if the freezer is failing and is the cause of the problem, it does change the fact that the circuit is overloaded.

She can plug a high wattage hair dryer in the bathroom and have someone open the door to the freezer and the breaker will trip. (guaranteed)

She said that the circuit has tripped in the past. The problem may be the breaker is getting too weak and is causing the current problem. It still doesn't change the fact that the circuit is overloaded.

The freezer should be on a separate breaker. I wouldn't want a guest tripping the circuit in the bathroom with a hair dryer and causing food in the garage to spoil.

Reply to
Metspitzer