Electrical Problem has me stumped .. .. ..

Reply to
Anonymous

Anonymous

Just a couple of points. One forget the traffic signal lamps . I tried them ,nice brite light short life . Traffic signal lamps are designed to burn from a horizonal base, which bring me to my second point. Burning position. My post lights have the bases facing up and my carraige lights have the bases facing down . As strange as it sounds some lamps are designed to burn in only certain positions. Lamps that can burn in any position are called universal and have a "U" stamped on them . Lamps designed to burn in only certain positions are so marked ( usually marked on the package) .

It all has to do with the way the filament is supported and what the filament is made of.

Bill

Reply to
... ...

If I'm not mistaken, there are lamps available rated for 130 volts - would that help?

Reply to
PhotoMan

Joseph Meehan has provided the complete answer. Now to put numbers to his answer. A 120 volt bulb will burn out in half the time when operated at 127 volts. IOW if the failure is due to voltage, you can only learn about this problem using a meter.

Blackening is what happens when the filament vaporizes. Once the bulb reaches its end of life, much of the filament has vaporized and deposited on the glass. Higher voltage (only 7 volts more) can cause a major increase in vaporization. Bulb burns out in half the time.

Vibrati>

Reply to
w_tom

New sensor installed a few minutes ago .. .. .. I'll see if it does any good .. .. thanx for all the replies !! !! !!

I'll try replacing the sensor as this problem occurs on both lights (one sensor controls both)

thanx .. .. ..

Reply to
Anonymous