electrical problem

I have a kitchen chandelier that must be moved about 8" to center it over the table. My builder said it can't be moved because that would put it in the same joist bay as a sprinkler pipe and head, which would not comply with building code requirements. There is not enough room to move the table. Does anybody have a suggestion how we can get our light centered?

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave

Track mount?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sure, if it hangs on a chain just put a hook to the side where you want it. You may have to add chain and wiring. If it has a bar or other solid mount, you could probably convert it to a chain hanging. Otherwise, your choice is a different chandelier with chain mounting.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Must be a commercial building.

Reply to
red

County code in this area has required sprinkler systems in new home construction for the past couple of years.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Some jurisdictions now require sprinklers in new homes. I've heard (and can't verify) that the sprinklers do little as far as safety for the homeowner but the percentage of malfunctions leading to flooding is a problem. I am supposing the sprinklers make things safer for the firemen, however.

Bill

to the side

and wiring.

could probably

your choice is a

moved about 8" to center it

moved because that would

pipe and head, which would

There is not enough room

suggestion how we can get our

Reply to
bill

Don't most home fires start in either the kitchen or garage?

I've toyed with the idea of installing a sprinkler system in the garage...

Pros? Cons?

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Were do you get that lovely bit of disinformation? In the 100 plus years that the australian government has been tracking the performance of automatic sprinklers they have had no fire deaths under a working automatic sprinkler system. In US experience there has never been a multiple death fire; three or more fatalities: in a space that was protected by a working automatic sprinkler system. A study by the Maryland State Fire Marshal found that more than half of the states fire deaths would be averted if sprinkler protection was universal.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne