Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

Page 4 of 4
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 10:18:00 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

You cut the tab between the 2 Hot screws and wire one with a switched hot wire and the other with an "always hot" wire (or another switched hot).
Here is the basic concept for one switched receptacle, the actual physical wiring can vary. Note the missing connection between the 2 hot screws. The tab for the neutrals is left intact.
http://www.electrical101.com/wpimages/split-receptacle-1circuit-wiring-diagram.png
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 10:18:00 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

P.S. I have a split/switched receptacle in my garage, but for a very strange reason.
I inherited an old 19" TV from my Dad. The picture doesn't go off when you press the power button or use the remote. The sound goes off but the picture stays on. You have to kill the AC input to turn it off completely, so I split a duplex and added a switch. A one-time wiring job was easier than using the plug to turn it on and off every time.
Here's the even stranger part: When you reapply the power, all you get is snow. You still have to press the power button or use the remote to *really* turn it on.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 10:18:00 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Following the only thing I've seen here cited as any reason for ground up, you'd want the ground up on the ones that are permanently on, because they are most likely to be energized and if a metal object drops onto partially inserted pins, it will hit the ground pin.

I'd do it with the top one live, because a lamp or similar could be plugged in below on the switched one, leaving the upper one easier to access.

alt.home.repair:

That's the first good reason I've heard here for doing it one way over the other. I'm tempted to turn some of the outlets in my house around like that!
It happens that Oren formulated :

And if they want to come turn them upside down again by force, let 'em try - I still have a gun to defend my castle. :)
Seems a lot like the old Lilliputian big endian little endian conflict.
homes in florida often have outlets in the same home orientated both ways
ground pin down for always on, ground pin up for switched
That's interesting, but I never heard of it 60+ years ago when I worked for an electrician during high school and college in Florida. (Of course, back then most wiring outlets were just hot and neutral. 3-prong outlets were for industrial use.)