electrical outlets

Page 1 of 2

A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.
Thanks
WDG

Standard, as far as I know, is with the ground on the bottom.
On Apr 15, 9:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

It's personal preference, there is no code that addresses the orientation. The vast majority that I have seen have the ground receptacle on the bottom.

And recently, following this same discussion here on several occasions, the general conclusion of which, if I recall correctly, was that ground pin at top was probably the safest against anything metallic falling across the live and neutral pins etc.; it appears to me that many (most?) of the el cheapo plug-in wall warts/adapters/ timers etc. seem to be made for ground pin on the bottom! Almost all outlets in my house are the other way up. Most of the time it doesn't matter anyway, but ............ occasionally it's nuisance to set a timer and then plug it in upside down! those previous discussion also, again IIRC, identified that since the ground pin is longer and stouter having it at the top 'might' decrease the likelihood of sagging and dragging out the 'working' pins; more so than if those pins are at top. In other words sagging would push the working pins 'in' rather than pull them out.
|A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical | outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector | in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never | seen an outlet positioned this way in my life. | | Thanks | | WDG |
your friend is correct ground up on outlets. thats how we have been doing it since 1998 someday the whole country will be this way.
some inspectors care too much about this and others don't care enough.

Inspectors are not allowed to "care" about this. It is not addressed in the code in any way. Typically the electricians will identify "switched" receptacles by installing them opposite of the rest.
On Apr 16, 12:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've experienced counter-example, Greg. Fire Marshall of town where our facility was located mandated that all outlets be ground- lug-up. And it was made so. Arguing would be a pi$$ing contest.
Also, he refused to allow any plug-in electrical heaters, likely saving a few incidents. He'd catch 'em, we'd smash 'em.
Reasonable guy, but not wishy-washy

As you observed, nearly all are ground down. Some say that is wrong because things falling down will hit the hot/neutral rather than just the neutral. There is some sense to that, but ground up looks wrong to most people since it is not common. Neither is "proper". Probably best to do whatever the rest of your outlets are.
Toller wrote:

I like to make smiley faces of them.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Some appliances, like air conditioners, have plugs on the ends that will hand better if the pin is up. They are designed that way as that is now considered the proper way to orient the receptacles, at least in commercial applications. . There is no code covering orientation.
Seems like most NEMA publications show the pin up on the 5-15 configuration. I just looked at my GFCI in the bathroom and the test and reset buttons are engraved in both orientations.

Nobody told Whirlpool that. My new fridge is set up ground down if the cord is going to hang right.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 00:18:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In my younger days, I would have thought I was the only one who would reverse the receptacle to make a cord hang right, but now I know others would too.
So I would just pick a way, and if a cord arose that new not my way, I'd rotate the receptacle. (One can use a Leviton #325547 Receptacle Rotator.)

The receptacle for my dryer (probably original installation when house was built, around 1969) has the ground down. The plug on the dryer (new last year) is positioned for a ground-up receptacle, so it has to be plugged in with the cord going up instead of down.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I think they reverse these every 46 years to keep electricians in business.

Mark Lloyd wrote:

Is this a gas or electric dryer? Most 120/240 volt appliance cords I have seen have the ground on top. Also, it appears to be the custom for gas dryers not to have right angle plugs, while washers have right angle plugs with the ground down. This allows for both appliances to be plugged into the same duplex outlet.

I have a 3-prong heavy duty extenision cord with the wire at a 45 degree angle. I guess it's meant to allow it with anything in any socket. It's also darn thin. I've only see this kind of plug once.
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:49:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Probably not. I just hadn't thought of that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Haha. Don't feel too bad. In college, my room was basically a narrow rectangle, with a bed on one long side, and the sink and closet on the other, with a desk in there somewhere.
The bed did not have a headboard or anything else to distinguish one end from the other.
I decided one day that I would rather sleep with my head on the other side, and so I turned the bed around. This was a pain in the ass, but with much work, in the room and in the narrow hallway outside the room, I got it turned around.
Just as I finished, someone walked by, asked what I was doing, and then asked why I hadn't simply moved the pillow to the other end and changed where the sheets and blanket were tucked in.
Doh!
Toller wrote:

And I believe the things they felt most likely to fall down that way would be metal outlet cover plates, if the screw vibrated out, or maybe got lost by a painter who'd removed the plate and then just placed it back over the outlet.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On 15 Apr 2007 21:48:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

I've seen many commercial places do this. The reasoning seems that if a metal face plate comes loose and falls on a partically inserted plug will not result in a short. Lot of 'if' here.
I personally, like ground port(round hole) on the bottom, since my index finger does migrate over to it when inserting a plug at times. I don't use metal face plates.
One note, it seems to be a matter or preference, but I would check with local code enforcement to see what they 'want'.
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com