Electric range problem

Bought a house that came with a GE electric range circa 1990.

Sometimes range elements start OK, other times not at all. (This is on high). I have used similar ranges in the past. Sometimes resetting breaker gets it to work for a short time, but then it fails again. Breaker is not visibly tripped.

Happens to all four elements. Before I buy a new range I am wondering if I have breaker, or other, problems.

Please reply if you have had experience or are a pro:-))

TIA

Lou

Reply to
Lou

When it's not working, get a test meter and see if you have 240V or not. This does not sound like a problem with the range, as I can't imagine a range failure mode that would result in all 4 elements behaving this way. Since flipping the breaker sometimes fixes it, I'd suspect the breaker is bad.

Reply to
trader4

Could be a bad breaker, or a deteriorated connection at the breaker or at the point where the range feeder connects to the range. I'd first open the panel and inspect the wires connected to the circuit breaker

Reply to
RBM