Electric mower / trimmer?

Page 4 of 6

Michael Dobony wrote:

Machete?
aemeijers wrote:
(...)

My friend is about 5' tall, so she'd need a 4' long machete. Hmmm, maybe a sharpened golf club.
No. Too much work. :)
--Winston
Scythe, ala Grim Reaper. But I am familiar with the B&D mower you mention. A neighbor was wrestling it around, and it just wasn't able to climb the weeds, and it was obviously not suited for the task. And I couldn't cut a notch in the front with my angle grinder, because the front wheels are on a bar that runs in front. We found a scythe at a country hardware store, never a problem again.

Michael B wrote:

Yup. I did that as a youngster. Sometimes "Hand me the Crescent Hammer" doesn't even begin to work.

Heh! I was thinking of doing the same thing!
I was stopped by the fact that sometimes these weeds are found in 'clumps', too wide to accommodate anything larger than a bare blade.

Yup. If my friend had the upper body strength to swing a scythe, I doubt I would be in the trouble- shooting process *anywhere*.
Thanks!
--Winston
Michael Dobony wrote: (...)

Roundup wasn't effective against these weeds. My friend had used Roundup effectively in years past against other weeds, but these are really nasty.
Thanks!
--Winston

There are other herbacides effective against woody plants. Crossbow and Garlon come to mind.
Pat wrote:

Ah! Excellent!
I will tell my friend.
Thank you!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

You might want to look into getting a different trimmer head. There are some bladed heads which are compatible with electric trimmers. Example:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Mike Paulsen wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Great minds and all that, Mike.
That's the exact one I bought two weeks ago when my friend broke the spool assembly on her first trimmer.
Though it may be "compatible with 99% of all gas trimmers" as it says on the package, the 'Grass Hog' A.C. trimmer will not accommodate it. Indeed, 'Black and Decker' does not even show up as a compatible brand on the manufacturer's website:
http://www.cmdproducts.com/makes.html
Good thought though.
Thanks!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Well then, it's time to get serious.
Mount a hedge trimmer in front of the mower. (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ (only half joking)
2. Drip torch or propane weed burner. (and a cell phone to call 911)
3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.
Of course, showing her this thread and telling her to stop being such a PITA wouldn't be out of line either, but I sense that's not going to work.
Mike Paulsen wrote:
(...)

Hey, I'm about to cut an electric lawnmower in half. Desperate times require desperate measures. (Right turns are to be made carefully, Left turns can be accomplished at high speed.)

Mmmm. No. I barely got away with the 2 stroke 'whacker the first time.

Yup. That's first prize. A full size rear-tine tiller would work a treat. It wouldn't be admitted onto the property unless it was battery powered.
(Only slightly kidding.)

You sense correctly.
:)
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Think diesel tractor...
Pete C. wrote:

I want one of those, too.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

I have one of those, it's a very handy item.
Pete C. wrote:

I believe you.
I could use one with a backhoe right now.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Mike and all-
I mounted that bladed trimmer head to the GrassHog just now. It was a real project involving heavy modifications. I tested it and it looks like a good approach.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/WeedWhackerResurrected.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/WeedWhackerResurrected.txt
--Winston
Winston wrote:
(...)

FWIW, I gave my friend the RWW this afternoon.
She swung at the weeds with it for about an hour and cleared out about 70% of them before she took a break for the day.
I couldn't hear the whacker from inside her house. That makes a very pleasant change from the brush cutter I used.
She's still on her first set of blades and is very pleased.
--Winston

For a 1/4 acre lot use a gasoline-powered weedeater. A cheap pair of shop earmuffs will offer ear protection. I find weedeaters very reliable and they can cut through raspberry bushes.
If she insists on the under-powered electric trimmers, a sickle can come in handy when unwilling to keep up with the growth.
Phisherman wrote:
(...)

Yup. The 2 stroke brush cutter I used originally worked well, though as it dulled, it beat the stalks into submission rather than cut them cleanly. I *was* able to slice through all the weeds in both front and back yards in an afternoon on only about 3/4 a tank of gas.
My friend does not get any joy out of coaxing a small gas engine to life, the way you and I do. She will happily spend 50x the time using a tool she can understand.

She really doesn't have the strength necessary to be effective with a sickle or scythe. Heck, I doubt that *I* do.
Thanks!
--Winston

No time to read the whole thread. I'd suggest a weed killer.
I have a gallon bottle of something (I can check if you want me to) with a very easy to pump up sprayer, and it's meant to spray individual weeds. They start to die within 12 hours (even though this stuff is a year or two old), maybe 4 hours, but I let them continue to die for a couple days before I mow the lawn, on the expectation it will go back to the main plant and damage it, maybe kill it.
P&M. Don't reply to newsgroup only because it's a busy week and I wont' see it. Remove nopsam to email.