Electric mower / trimmer?

Page 1 of 6

Hi all,
I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter and knocked them over once but they are back.
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/expand_it/trimmers/RY26000 # http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/expand_it/trimmer_attachments/RY15702 #
My friend does not want to use any gas-powered tools because of reliability and noise.
She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed wacker'. (Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.
I think that an A.C. powered mower / trimmer would work a lot better for her but my Google-fu fails to locate anything like that. Lots of gas powered units but nothing quieter and reliable.
A standard A.C. mower isn't going to work on these monster weeds because they grow very high, astoundingly quickly.
Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what can I do to help her be self-sufficient?
Thanks!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

The reliability problem with gas powered tools is the reliability of the operator taking proper care of them. As for the noise issue, electrics are somewhat quieter, though far from silent, and due to the lower power than gas models you have to listen to them longer to get the same job done.
Suggest the friend just hire some maintenance folks who will work quickly with their loud, properly maintained gas powered tools and be gone before she could even get the extension cords for the electric powered tools untangled.

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times) 2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull, even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and really isn't much heavier than the 2-stroke. I'll gladly tote that extra pound or so for all the benefits I got. It seems to have more low end "grunt" too. It doesn't bog down under load as much.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I have a number of 2-stroke items including a trimmer and I don't have hard start problems, the key being that they are pro grade units, I maintain them and I always use stabil in my fuel supply.
Oddly enough, it is my larger 4-stroke items that give me the most grief, however pulling the carb off and running it through my ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green solution followed by a blow dry with compressed air resolves most issues for quite a while.

As I said, the 2-stroke brush cutter was lousy from day one. It was not a cheapy. However, rather than a normal carb with a choke I could adjust, it had a goofy "eazy start" mechanism that was a rube goldberg wet dream. I have and have owned many 2-stroke engines. I never had any real problems with them. This new 2-stroke brush cutter was a lousy design. There was no way to know that until using it. What was supposed to make it easy starting, made it absurdly hard starting.
I, too, use Stabil for all my small engines, 2 and 4 stroke. I don't have any particular problems with any of them. I find the 4-stroke brush cutter to not only start very easily, but is more comfortable to use. Quieter, less vibration, more torque, less stink. Better. Because of these additional benefits, I would not consider buying any more 2-stroke powered brush cutters, weed wackers, or edgers. That sort of thing. The 4-stroke that works so well is in the middle range as far as price point.
When someone comes out with a 3.5 hp 4-stroke outboard for my sailboat's dinghy that weighs 30 pounds, I'll be buying one. until then, my 30 pound, 3.5 hp 2-stroke starts on the first pull every time. That's one place where I won't compromise on the weight issue.
Pete C. wrote:
(...)

That's a great answer for you and me.
Not a good answer for my friend who dislikes the thought of using any gas-powered tool.
Thanks!
--Winston
Pete C. wrote:
(...)

Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld' necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when the motor becomes flooded, etc. My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is possible on an intellectual level not to like little gas engines.
Thanks!
--Winston

It is becoming clear that your "friend" really doesn't want to get rid of the weeds. Several here have told you what it would take, but you are sure your friend won't do what it takes. I'd say the weeds are safe.
The only real option left is to hire somebody who IS willing to do what it takes to remove the weeds. You have exhausted the reasonable options for do it yourself solutions.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
(...)

OK, That is a reasonable conclusion.
I've participated in several newsgroup sessions where the OP appears to be obstructionist because he comes up with reasons why a particular approach won't work.
It is very frustrating for folks who are just trying to help out. The reason I appreciate your collective thoughts on the subject is that I had run through all the 'easy' alternatives and required some fresh ideas.
Thank you for your time. I mean that seriously.
--Winston

No such problems with my scythe. So long as you resharpen often, a scythe cuts brush about as fast as a power tool.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

My friend doesn't have a lot of upper body strength. This stuff isn't ordinary 'brush'.
On cutting open a stalk, I saw hundreds of fine fibers up through the middle of the plant. Stuff looks like it was designed by NASA.
--Winston
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:17:05 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

Maybe as fast, but not nearly as easily. Not everybody is young and healthy.
As for problems, I don't have any with my brush cutter. It works great.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
(...)

That would work for me but not for my friend.
Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld' necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when the motor becomes flooded, etc.
You can guarantee that a non-aficionado will manage to set the choke exactly wrong for any ambient temperature!
My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is possible, on an intellectual level, to not like little gas engines.
My friend will happily use a corded tool however.
Thanks!
--Winston

That's just it. The Cub Cadet doesn't require any interest in how it works. You push the primer bulb twice, pull the cord once and off you go.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
(...)

Sounds like a dream. I want one of those 4 stroke Cub Cadets and I don't have any weeds to whack!
Won't work for my friend however.
She much prefers the hassle of an extension cord over the hassle of dealing with a gas powered tool.
Thanks!
--Winston
Pete C. wrote:

(...)
Yeah, that is true for a lot of folks, especially those of us of a 'certain age' who have a great affinity for machines. Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld' necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when the motor becomes flooded, etc. My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is possible on an intellectual level not to like little gas engines.

I agree.

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent type who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you have met that type of person?
Thanks!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

A Shindaiwa doesn't require a "Briggs Mind Meld".

Yes, I have, but I call them "idiots". They don't want to use the correct tool for the job and don't want to pay someone who will use the correct tool for the job.

Now we are getting somewhere!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

(...)
Perhaps.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
Thanks for your time, everybody.
--Winston
Pete C. wrote:

(...)
>> not to like little gas engines.

A beautiful machine, no doubt. I am sure it is easier to use than the 2 stroke brush cutter I used for the purpose initially.
My friend refuses to deal with gas powered tools.
That's OK. I refuse to eat cooked spinach.
(...)

Now Pete, name calling isn't necessary. :)
She should be able to get 10 A at 120 V out of a 14 AWG extension cord measuring 75' in length. So that's 1200 W or 1.6 HP. My little 30cc brush cutter does an acceptable job with only 1.0 HP, so it isn't unreasonable to ask for an A.C. brush cutter, is it?
Thanks!
--Winston