electric chainsaw

I am thinking about buying an electric chainsaw. Just need something for light duty stuff so I don't want the hassle of gas. The only reviews I have found were on Remington, it sounds like a piece of crap and Craftsman all the reviews were good . I myself believe craftsman got out of the electric tool business 30 years ago but nobody's ever had the hart to tell them. Any suggestion what to consider?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Consumer rated based on price, performance and reliability:

Best moderately priced: Remington 098031

Best top of the line: Makita UC 4000

Craftsman rated 3rd in best moderately priced.

Reply to
robson

I've had a 16 inch McCullough electric for about ten years now and it's done fine for home use, but I doubt if I've cut more than the equivalent of one cord of wood with it in that time.

It's still going strong on the original chain which I resharpen by eye with a 3/16" cylindrical stone in a Dremel.

Can't speak for their current models though. An honest McCullough dealer could probably tell you that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I inheritied an electric Craftsman chainsaw, and have used it for light duty limb trimming, etc. So far, so good; it performs without issue.

Reply to
pjhartman

The best might be a Sthil, I have a craftsman its ok. But remember you need 12ga cords or 10 for long runs, 14-16 ga can burn up a motor on long runs. Few homeowners have 12ga extensions.

Reply to
m Ransley

The guy next door sold me his old Craftsman for 5 bucks, because he said it didnt cut worth a damn. Took it home, and found he had the chain on backwards. Duh. It works fine now, no complaints.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I have been using a 100 foot exterior extension cord on my 14 inch Remington for the past 10 years with no ill effects. Keep the teeth sharp and apply chain saw oil as needed. The only drawback is it has no anti kickback.

Reply to
PDQ

My 8 year old Remington still works great. I loan it out a couple times a year and it's even survived that!

cm

Reply to
cm

for the >past 10 years with no ill effects. Keep the teeth sharp and apply chain saw oil as >needed. The only drawback is it has no anti kickback.

The "apply chain saw oil" part confuses me. Do you mean that you have to oil the chain manually, or that you have to keep the reservoir for the automatic oiler filled?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I bought a remington at Lowes. Took it home and it didn't cut worth a damn. Guess What? Told the people at Lowes that if anyone brings a saw back they should make certain the blade in one right.

I expect the Sears is likely made by Remington.

I will go along with the using a heavy cord for over 50 foot. I burned up a motor that way.

Reply to
Rich256

Lot of comments about extension chords. I have a tool box of heavy duty commercial twist lock chords. I will use the saw maybe three times a year. Thanks for the advice

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

-Posted and emailed-

I have a McCullough pole saw (detaches from extendable pole) that I got about 3 years ago at Costco (around $80, IIRC). I was using it the other day to remove about 15% of a largish plum tree, that I hope to remove down to the stump, with the same saw. I wouldn't get one without the pole accessory, personally. I haven't sharpened it yet because I don't know how, but I guess I'll find out. Always use chainsaw oil and a boatload of common sense when using a chainsaw. Oh, and pay close attention to what you are doing. If you read the manual you will get 10x as much of the admonitions I just laid down.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant