Edger battery

I have this trimmer/edger which here in the east is most likely going to be utilized for the Summer only. In the remaining 10 months, what happens by non usage with the rechargeable battery? The company says, run it down at least on a monthly basis, which I feel is ridiculous . Its one of those Li-Lon batteries..18volts Anyone here in a similar situation and found the solution?
Boothbay wrote:

Some people say that it likes cold storage. Google for the details.
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 02:43:52 +0200, Sjouke Burry

In general batteries like it cool or cold, as long as they don't freeze. Some don't mind freezing, either. Likewise high temperatures are death on batteries. Keeping them in the garage in the summer is not a good idea. I make sure all the batteries for my cordless tools are stored in the house.

yes,it is. the battery pack has a limited number of recharges,and unnecessarily discharging it and recharging means you need to buy more batteries.

Li-ion batteries are noted for their good charge retention in long-term storage.(low self-discharge rate)
Instead of "cold" storage,I would just avoid HOT storage places,like garages without AC. Of course,we in the northern hemisphere are now getting into the cooler seasons.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Google LiIon battery maintenance, I think you will find it might take a few charges in 10 months to recover, but I would not go to the trouble of discharging it every month and wearing out the motor. I dont go to that trouble with phones, laptop computers, my video and regular camera and none of those state to do so.

They are all LiIon so there has to be some similarity,we are not talking Nicad or Lead Acid so these recomendations to me mean something. What I read heat and overcharging is bad, mainly heat. Sony for Liion just says to store them at about 75% charge, Popular Mechanics magazine has a new article today on LiIon battery maintenance. Cycling them as his trimmer co says just sounds wrong for several reasons.

The only reason you'd want to cycle a LiIon battery is to calibrate the "gas gauge". I can't imagine that being important for a string- trimmer.
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:46:16 -0700, Boothbay wrote:

Those batteries have a finite lifetime deemed by the number of charge/ discharge cycles and age. It makes no sense to drain and charge the battery when you don't need to. I own a ham radio miniature hand held walkie talkie. This thing is an Alinco DJ-C4 if you want to google it. It has a Li-ON battery inside that has not been charged for 10 years but it will still power the unit. That may or may not be of some relevance to you.