Eating outdoors

Last big holiday of the summer coming and I would like to have a family cook out. Problem is ,here in Chi the bees ( all kinds) seem to have the same idea. Looking for some tricks you guys use to keep our cook out human only. Other bugs can be somewhat controlled . But not the bees ,Wasps etc.Fat is going on the fire next weekend regardless.We'll probably feed the crew inside.Which meansGrandpa cleans for two days. Frank (rather be golfing than cleaning)

Reply to
KTECH

Try hanging a few whitish colored paper bags into nearby trees using string....blow the bags up to appear kinda similar to a wasp nest.

As wasps are territorial, they tend to avoid areas belonging to a different colony.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I haven't tried them but there are yellow jacket traps available. It think that they have to be set out in advance of your event so as to collect so as to catch some of the offenders beforehand. Enjoy the family gathering!!

Reply to
C & M

One or two large fans should make the area uncomfortable for most bugs.

Reply to
Dumbo

On 8/27/2005 6:27 PM US(ET), KTECH took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Wasps/bees have a liquid diet. Yes, I know wasps may feed on other insects, but they don't eat them, they extract the body fluids from the insects. I usually put out a few plastic plates for them with a small amount (teaspoon) of a fruit salad (like Ambrosia, melon salad, etc.) and/or a fruit flavored soda or juice, some distance around the perimeter of the people area. Wasps/bees inside the perimeter will go to their isolated plates rather than having to interact with humans. Wasps/bees outside the perimeter will encounter their plates before entering the people area. It may not attract them all, but the amount of bees/wasps in the people area is greatly reduced.

Reply to
willshak

We place small paper bowls of pancake syrup around the yard and that seems to take care of most of them. Our big problem this year, however, has been mosquitoes, thanks to excessive heat and humidity. They're so bad this year that we haven't been able to eat outside the whole summer, and friends who come for a swim are provided with Cutter anti-mosquito wipes to use when they're not in the water. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the start of winter!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

Ed, we went to Home Depot, Lowe's & CVS last weekend looking for those lanterns but they're already off the shelves. Maybe today I'll check out the smaller garden centers. Thanks for the recommendation...I was wondering whether they actually work.

Liz

Reply to
Liz

I've had good luck with the OFF brand lanterns with the heat activated insecticide. They do a 15' area. Works well on the deck or patio, but not much good for a walk in the woods.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sure, they have to get the Christmas goods out now. I looked for refills too, next year I'll stock up early. I have one left.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When we BBQ, I hand out fly swatters and offer a 'bounty' for the striped pests.. We usually "whack" a dozen or more, then they start to taper off

Reply to
Rudy

My dad used to put a few slivers of barbequed meat in a saucer and set it on the ground about 10 feet away from our outdoor dining table.

The wasps congregated there and left our family and friends alone.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

We bought a mosquite trap. i searched those same stores first, but none had them. They say they sell out in the spring. I thought that was odd. Anyway we got one from ABC warehouse, and I can say it does catch mosquitoes. Since only the females feed on blood, the idea is to thin the population by killing the females over the course of several weeks. Then in combination with the lanterns with the citronella which works to mask the co2 you breathe out which attracts them, we have been ale to eat outside. Still when the sun starts its descent, we generally have to hed in... We have small marsh area in our backyard lots of mosquitos.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Reply to
nospambob

Our golden *loved* to catch 'em, until she got old. Then it wasn't pretty. At about the same time we had a cat that would catch flies mid-air. One time he cought one, but it wedged itself in the cat's toe webbing. ....buzzing all the time. The cat went *nutz* shaking the paw and chewing down between the toes. It was funny!

Reply to
keith

I don't know about wasps, but with bees if you take a swipe but miss then the bee can get very agro. Don't overlook the usefulness of the hoover for gently sucking up bees, etc. Wait for the bee to alight on the table, and slowly edge the vacuum cleaner hose up to it. At first the bee just feels a strengthening breeze and it digs in its heels, but as the breeze grows to a typhoon the bee surrenders. They get well and truly tangled in the fluff inside the cleaner bag, but just to make sure they never emerge, a squirt of insect killer down the hose when packing away should seal their fate. With wasps and spiders I stick a cork in the hoover hose and don't unplug it from the vac to be doubly sure there are no escapees in the house!

Reply to
John Savage

Get a dog. Ours loves to try to catch then in her mouth. Luckily she hasn't gotten stung yet!

Reply to
FDR

Provide the bees with water at an alternate nearby location, well away from the crowd. I used a concrete bowl under a faucet drip and it attracted the bees. On the day of the cookout, in small narrow strips, pour a small jar of honey on the ground near the water. That will keep the bees occupied with food and water.

Most importantly, instruct your guests to never swat at a bee. They are gentle creatures and will never sting unless provoked.

Reply to
Sherman

I'm in Chicagoland too, and I suspect he's talking about yellow jackets. It's best just to eat inside. You can't even really sip a soda this time of the year the risk of finding a darned bee in it.

If they're nesting in your yard, burn 'em! Other than that - run away!

Angrie.Woman