dust coming from crack in wall

I have an 100 yr old town house that suffered termite damage over the years, at least one time majorly around 1985.. I don't have the cash to do a complete overhaul, but am doing things incrementally. such as replacing all the hardwood flooring in one floor of my house. I have an annual termite inspection and they were found once and treated. I last had a full treatment in July. My neighbors have the same experiences, so I'm not unique- we're near woods and a creek, so there's lots of wet wood nearby.

Generally it's an old house with lots of settling. It was also imperfectly rehabbed.

I have many cracks in the plaster and one, which happens to face an outside wall has a weird effect. If I seal the window and slam the door, little bits of termite-chewed wood come out. I did a visual inspection and do not see any holes in the old mortar (though repointing is in my future) and I held a wet finger to the crack and didn't feel any wind or cold air.

Has anyone seen this before?

Don

Reply to
bbcrock

All the time, before we got the Sentricon system. I still have residual damage, but I'm winning. They seem to like drywall paper, probably a desert after gnawing a 2X4. That system is pricey, I paid $1700, + 300 annual fee, but it beat the bugs, now we just have to clean up the mess. BTW the house had been inspected and treated yearly for about 5 years before I bought it, but it never really eliminated them, it just kept them in check.

Eric in North TX

I have a window sill that collects termite droppings from drywood termites. There is a pinhole or two in the seam above where the windows meets the wood and I can tap on the wall nearby and droppings just keep coming out. I need to drill lots of holes thru the drywall and into the studs and spray.

Reply to
DK