duct taping exhaust pipes

Page 1 of 2

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not expect it to melt?
--
Uno

Not a good idea. Put it back together and then drill a small hole and put a sheet metal screw through it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

bottom anyway, but just on general principles...)
--
aem sends...

I have used aluminum foil duct tape for YEARS to "fix" the adjustable elbows and secure joints on flue pipes with no ill effect. I don't know if it's "ok' but it has worked fine for me w/o problems.
Do not use the fabric or plastic duct tapes for this application.
cheers Bob

I don't know what you can and can't expect, but I would expect it to melt.
Use foil tape meant for that purpose.

AKA "Duct tape" - not "duck tape" which is what the cloth stuff is ACTUALLY - originally made of "cotton duck" - a type of cloth
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:58:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm afraid if one went looking for duct tape, he would end up with tape for heating ducts, whichdon't get over 120F I would think.
Flues from furances and gas water heaters get a lot hotter than that, and the op is working on the flue, the exhaust pipe, from his water heater.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:58:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Others said what I just did more strongly, so let me put it another way.
You're thinking of the difference between duct tape and duct tape, a worthwhile distinction, but neither of them is the tape for exhaust pipes. That is metal foil tape.

The foil made for exhaust pipes doesn't work worth a damn. The flexing caused by the pressure waves of the exhaust quickly cause the tape to fatigue and rip. I've never heard of such a patch lasting a whole month.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:50:36 -0500, AZ Nomad

Well now you have. ;) Mine was put on in November I think and lasted a whole winter. It weet on an oil furnace just two inches from the flue collector, the steel part screwed to the furnace immediately past the heat eachanger, so it gets hot.
Another piece was went about 8 inches up from there and 3 inches over, out of the hot air flow but I'm sure it got hot. It was wrapped around the damper (that's hinged and has an adjustable weight) by some furnace guy and was there for a few years when another furnace guy took it off.
On 08/18/2010 09:42 PM, mm wrote:

I think he meant on the muffler of a car, which is a much harsher environment than the flue of a burner due to the cyclic stress imposed by the pulsing of the exhaust of a piston engine.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yes, I usually think of the exhaust of a furnace refered to as a chimney pipe.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:04:43 -0500, AZ Nomad

Okay, I get it.
I used exhaust pipe this time because the OP had in reference to a water heater. and no one quoted had used a different term.
So we agree. Good!

Doh! I misread it as an OT automotive question. A furnace isn't going to have the exhaust pressure waves of an internal combustion engine.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:04:04 -0500, AZ Nomad

That didn't clue me in. I figured maybe some new fancy furnaces do!
I'd use the real aluminum tape not the mylar type stuff. 3M makes good one expensive but you get what you pay for in this case, have used both at work and now wouldn't use anything but the real McCoy

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:09:52 -0230, "don &/or Lucille"

It's not as expensive as replacing his home after the duct tape ignites and burns his house down. Duct tape is made for ducts (warm forced air), not HOT exhaust pipes.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

In reality, most "duct tape" is not approved for ducts. It just doesn't last.
Bob F wrote the following:

For general use, I use the clear type (3M and others). I have used some of it outside and it has been there for years, Summer and Winter, without deterioration. Forget the silver grey type. It just delaminates over time and the remaining glue is almost impossible to remove cleanly.

The original stuff was made for ducts, to be used to keep the pipe seams from leaking on hot air ducts or cold air returns. Most of the stuff sold now at Walmart and hardware stores is just cheap junk. Sure it has many uses, but I would not use it on ducts. I assume the "good stuff" may still be available from heating supply outlets.