DTV converters dont work

[snip]
That may explain why I don't get one of the local stations that's only 35 miles away (ABC station has analog on 7 and digital on 10).
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 05:11:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

It might work better connected to your antenna. On the ones I have, you don't get anything without an antenna connected to the DTV converter. You can most likely use the antenna you already have (that is, if you have an antenna).
Then, connect it to the TV. There's the channel3/4 output, but if possible use the better baseband connection (white/red/yellow RCA jacks).

Very few of these converters will do that.

You need better locks on your doors, where they can't break in :-)

What calendar would that be, where New Years Eve is in February?

Of course you don't have a DVD player or VCR, or even an internet connection.
How about binoculars (watch a neighbor's TV)?

That, they do.
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:51:15 -0500, Gary H

My antenna is already connected to the tv. It always was. I just plugged the red yellow and white wires to the tv plugs that match the colors. If I turn the converter on or off it dont make any difference. I even put the tv on channel 3 like it said, and there is nothing there.
snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

I have a box like this. Plugging in white, yellow and red wires requires setting the TV to take the video input (or one of the video inputs), as opposed to any of the channels.
On my TV there is a pop-up door by the volume, channel and power buttons and remote sensor and power indicator light. I pop this door up and there are video inputs (red, white and yellow) along with 2 buttons - "video" and "menu". On this TV of mine, I press the "video" button to cycle through 4 modes:
Antenna Video 1 Video 2 Video 3
On this particular TV that I have, the front panel video inputs are "Video 3". Since my DTV converter box is plugged into the front panel video inputs, I have to push the "video" button 3 times every time I turn the TV on.
snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

You must remove the antenna from the TV and attach it to the converter box - ANT IN.
To use the RF type connection then you also hook a short coax from the converter OUT to the TV ANT IN. Then put your TV on channel 3 (or 4).
AND/OR
If you want to use the RCA jacks then Select the correct video input for your TV. (Video 1, Video 2 AUX, Front, Back etc. or whatever the designation for your particular TV is).
No different than adding a VCR to your TV.
Kevin

One addition: This should always be your FIRST choice as using the RF connection (above) degrades the signal by passing it through additional components (cheap modulator, TV tuner).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
I use the RF connection and I can't see any difference between that picture and the same channel on my satellite receiver.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 18:39:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

You can't always tell the difference. The direct connection is still better.
That should be obvious. The RF connection uses additional components. There's no way that can make the signal better.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 05:11:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

A DTV converter is a "faith based" device. You have to be 100% convinced it will work before it does anything. The fact that you're getting the old channels indicates a strong sense of doubt is interfering with the functioning of the converter. Nearly every community offers free public brainwashing services to help you get digital TV. If you need help locating a facility, post your mailing address and someone will help you.
snipped-for-privacy@none4u.com wrote:

I bought four RCA converters (by Thomson) from Wal-mart, and they all work fine, whether I use the RF output or the direct video outputs. Are you sure you made the right antenna and TV connections and tuned the TV to the right channel or input? If you're using RF output and the converter box has a pass-through, you don't want the TV's antenna input connected to the pass-through or all you'll get are the analog channels.