DTV converter boxes - good, bad, ugly?

Page 2 of 2

I got the one from radio shack. digital stream. analog passthrough. works great.
Add pictures here
✖
N8N wrote:

Andy writes:
I have tried a number of them, and can offer the following advice.
1) Try the remote for the "feel".... I like a nice, crisp, tactile feedback and fine the mushy feel of the Motorola unit to be objectionable.
2) Check the operation of the "program guide". Some models only show what is playing now, and others will allow the user to scale ahead for several hours, much like the DISHNETWORK system....
3) Analog passthru will only be useful for the next 6 months and after that there will be no more analog. While it is an annoyance now, the DTV box will be needed as long as your analog TV lasts, which could be another 20 years, so I don't , personally, see this as a deal breaker, especially considering the other features we will be using for the life of the unit.
4) If you are going to use the unit in a vehicle , boat, or RV, you need to get a model that can also be used on 12Volts. There is only one that I'm aware of. I think it's the TIVAX STB-T9, but I may be mis-remembering. You can google "12 Volt DTV Converter" and you'll probly be able to verify that.
5) After you make your choice, consider buying over the internet. The costs, including shipping, are about the same as the in-store costs , and you have a much wider variety to choose from.
Just some advice from one who has been there and done that. Good luck,
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Add pictures here
✖

Analog passthru will continue to be useful past February 2009 if you have a low power local station that is not covered by the mandated digital switchover date.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 29, 5:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

Or repeaters. We have a cabin near Flagstaff AZ. After the switchover, TVFool indicates that there will be 3 digital stations (we have only been able to receive 2 reliably), and the 5 or 6 repeaters of Phoenix stations that we currently receive will still be around. If you're in the boonies and currently receive repeaters, after the switch, you can either do without the digital box and still watch the repeaters, or buy a digital box with analog passthrough and watch them all. If you have a friend with a digital box, ask to borrow it for a day and see if you get a reliable digital signal in your area.
Jerry
Add pictures here
✖
Jerry wrote: ...

Ayup...and some who will be making the switch and are on the fringes their answer when asked if current folks who are receiving their analog signals will continue to be able to are answering "We don't know" which is pretty much what the models are saying--it's fringe and it's anybody's guess how successful any particular location is going to be...
✖
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:42:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

Note that translator stations are still allowed to use analog too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mike S. wrote:

Wal-mart is now carrying RCA converter boxes that support analog passthrough. I believe the model number is DTA-800b1, as opposed to DTA-800 for the model without passthrough. The packaging looks almost the same but mentions the passthrough.
Add pictures here
✖
Just got a Zenith at Circuit City. It works well, has pass thru, you can see program listing of both the current station and other stations on screen without changing the channel. Automatic channel search, signal strength indicator, and many display modes (automatic, increase vertical to fit, shrink horizontal to fit). Definitely recommend.

Add pictures here
✖
do you have to have a separate converter box for each tv in the house ?
James
Add pictures here
✖

Only if you want to watch separate channels.
Add pictures here
✖

Mostly yes, and a little no. A converter box is mostly an ATSC tuner. Like any such, it will work for only ONE channel at a time. You need a converter for each TV unless you always watch the same channel on each TV.