Drywell question

After two days storm I found a huge hole when I planted a rose a week ago. The hole is about 4 feet diameter and filled with water to the level of 2 feet below the ground. The hole is about 5 or 6 feet deep, I checked this with wood stick. I turned out there was a metal drywell there installed 50+ years ago when the house was built. The metal eventually corroded and the drywell cover fell together with topsoil and rose the covered it. I need to replace the drywell. What's the best approach, manufacturer, type, design, etc.
Alexander Galkin wrote:

I'm buying a house with a septic and dry well, so I've done some studying. I'll take a stab at this.
What is the purpose of this dry well? Septic? Is it still in official use, or was it abandoned? If it's no longer being used, I'd see what's needed to get it "abandoned" or "decommissioned". If it's still used, it'll need to be replaced with a concrete replacement, if that's up to code these days. --Mike
It is not a septic system as my house is and always was connected to the public sewer. Everything in my house drains into public sewer. Sump pump from basement has just open discharge pipe outside the basement wall. I cannot fully examine the well right now as it is filled with rain water to the half after heavy rains. So I don't know if any pipes are coming into the well. I believe it was installed as a drywell to collect rain water. It is really big, 4' in diameter and 5-6' deep.

ago.
2
this
50+
the
design,

the
It could be an old oil or gasoline tank.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualitywaterassociates.com Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2