drywall which got wet

On 3/12/2009 10:10 AM cshenk spake thus:

I have. It works fine. (Assuming you use a good paint over a good primer.) Remember that the primer finish is very flat, which gives a good "tooth" for subsequent coats to adhere to.

I also know a professional house painter who does that (oil primer/latex topcoat). And he knows a *hell* of a lot more about paint than me.

Are you sure the oil-based paint you were painting over wasn't primer but was glossy or semi-gloss? You're going to have problems painting over *any* type of non-flat previous coat; that's why you're supposed to use a deglosser (or scuff the finish) first.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

LOL! Pretty sure it was a gloss oil base we were covering. Painful job to do! I was about 11 at the time and not big enough for the heavier jobs yet so go that one.

Best I can recall there were 13 windows to deal with alone upstairs and not sure how many in the back of the basement. Took me about 1.5 hours of reasonably hard work per window to get it sanded down. (Mom flipped houses for a living then, not that that term existed then).

Reply to
cshenk

If it isn't too bad you can probably light sand, two coat oil based prime it, spackle, prime again, then top coat. Probably. Is there any way you can post a picture somewhere? It's really tough to be definitive without more to go on.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating