Drywall and ducting

I'd leave a gap, then trim it out.

'Course I'd box the ductwork to begin with, but your project may differ from those I've encountered. IME construction/remodeling is always a series of compromises but there are no expansion/contraction issues in your situation of which I am aware. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

So far I've read that ducting channels can be made from drywall only. I'm not interested in enclosing the ducting all the way, it isn't necessary for where I'm working, so my question is when I install the drywall, is it okay to butt the drywall up against the ducting or should I leave a gap? I'm wondering if thermal expansion of the ducting makes it necessary to leave space or if there are other considerations that make leaving space necessary.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Local ordinance type stuff maybe.As for a piece of sheetrock on the wall touching the duct a bit it should'nt be a problem..If fire caulking was an issue then a gap might be good for the caulk to lay in.. I'd say as long as it does'nt affect how the duct lays on the hangers You're doing good. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
Bennett Price

If you leave space, you have created at no extra effort a conduit or chase for tv cable ( quad shield RG6 co-ax, etc); network cable (CAT 5 / CAT 6);phone (POTS) cable, fibre optic cable, etc.

Put in 4 or 6 pll strings the lengtof the outside of the ducting but inside the drywall enclosure.c

IMHO you can't have too many conduits or chases that you can use without lotsof wa;ll board cutting. You never know what the future will bring.

I've re cabled (or just plain cabled) two older houses. Clear runs without a lot of wallboard cutting or stud drilling are your friends.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way. I don't actually intend of pulling CAT V or something like that any time soon, the idea of using it as a wire or cable run isn't a bad idea in case I change my mind in the future.

Reply to
Eigenvector