Dryer Door Switch - Disconnecting

I am trying to open the front panel of my Kenmore / Whirlpool 29" dryer to service the rollers, idler pulley, and drive belt.

I have the top open and am trying to disconnect the door switch before unscrewing the front panel. The door switch has two wires leading to it and there is a convenient connector (3 conductor, only 2 are used) a few inches away from the switch. I've tried pulling at that connector as hard as I dare to unplug it, but no luck. It looks like there may be two tiny tabs to press, but I have no way to press tabs that tiny while pulling and trying to prevent damaging the wires. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The door switch connector part number is Whirlpool # 3936144.

(Yes, I could remove the entire switch, but was trying to avoid that.)

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
John Taylor

Can you compress the 2 tiny tabs with a pair of pliers / needle-nose pliers / vise grip so as to allow you then to gently unplug the plug?

Reply to
Smarty

I did try that but no luck. If I had small needle nose pliers that bent in at the end like tongs that might work, but I don't have such a tool, if one exists. Curse the clowns that designed this connector!

Reply to
John Taylor

Radio Shack, among other places, sells hemostats which are tong-style needle nosed pliers which I have used to compress tabs on small and delicate connectors. You may want to get a pair and try them. Yanking on a connector which is still mated can easily lead to broken connector or wire problems.

Reply to
Smarty

Could not find the Radio Shack item on their website but here is a cheap Harbor Freight alternative.....

Smarty

Stick the corner of a putty knife slightly under the edge of the middle of the female side of the connector, and pry up while pulling on the male end. If it doesn't come out, then turn it over and do the same to the other side.

Reply to
AE Todd