Driveway solar-Powered Lights ?

Page 2 of 2

You get what you pay for. Most of the time. Outdoor low voltage lights are all over the map quality and price wise. The stuff available at the borgs is typically junk. I have a friend who owns a commercial lighting company. I got several dozen from him. They are metal cases. No plastic. They have 12v. bulbs like the automotive tail light bulbs. The others are halogen. They cost from $7 to $14 each at his price to me, which I believe to be just over cost, as I have seen the same units for $30 per in stores. They are five years old now, and still working fine. We live in a desert climate, so there is no rusting.
One CAN run 110v lights, it's just that they are very expensive to buy, install, maintain, and feed.

The answer is yes, no, definitely, and maybe. They put out minimal light, enough to find your keys if you drop them right under the light, and get down on your hands and knees to look for them. They are fragile, breaking easily. They are spendy, and for less, you can get good 12v. systems. They are not repairable. One good hail stone or sleet ball and they're toast. I wouldn't waste my money.

They work, but as everyone said, they give out very dim light. They usually don't last a whole night. In winter, if it is in snowy regions, it is advisable to store them away. I think more expensive ones will last a bit longer and give out more light. I have some over two years old and they're still working without changing batteries.

I dont' have any problems with the light output of mine, and when new they did last all night. They're just shit quality - one of them snapped off at the top of the pole; the rest you can see that the solar cells are all milky (should have used glass rather than plastic for the "skin" over the cells) and all of them if you pull them out of the ground you can see where the stakes just bent when they hit the clay sub-soil rather than biting in.
If someone made a GOOD solar light I would not be hesitant to try it. I've never seen one for sale though (online doesn't count, I have no way of evaluating quality from a web picture)
nate
They glow. That's it. I wouldn't call them lights.
Motion detecting lights would be a better choice. They actually illuminate to a useful degree and use a negligible amount of electricity. Assuming you get a white fixture, use white electrician's tape on the sensor to block nuisance trip sources as needed.

The ones I have came from K-Mart (discount store) and they each use two AA NiCad batteries. The batteries that came with them were not very good and only lasted about a year. I replaced them with Sunpak NiMh batteries about 5-6 years ago and they still stay lit all night, even if it was a cloudy day. On mine the batteries are very easy to replace and they can even be used as a AA battery charger.