Drilling stucco

My 1923 house has a stucco exterior that is very tough to drill into. Any ideas? Thanks, Chas
Chas12 wrote:

you mean in general right...where nails just bend when you try to hang a picture.
just get a small mason bit kit and any old junk drill.
chickenwing wrote:

woops! you're on the outside of house.
if not a decent masonry bit, how bout a tile bit. for drilling holes in tile. (in the tile dept)
Chas12 wrote:

Are you using a rotary hammer or just a regular drill to drill the holes? Some of that old stucco is amazingly hard and a regular drill won't touch it. A rotary hammer drill with some good quality masonry bits is a must.
Chas12 wrote:

I have the same thing. I have been able to drill holes using masonry bits. These are like regular drill bits except they have a piece of carbide at the tip that can penetrate the stucco. A regular corded drill should do. You could also try a spade bit of the type used for drilling tile. Be patient while drilling, it takes a little while. -- H
On 9 Dec 2005 08:00:29 -0800, "Heathcliff"
: :Chas12 wrote: :> My 1923 house has a stucco exterior that is very tough to drill into. Any :> ideas? :> Thanks, :> Chas : :I have the same thing. I have been able to drill holes using masonry :bits. These are like regular drill bits except they have a piece of :carbide at the tip that can penetrate the stucco. A regular corded :drill should do. You could also try a spade bit of the type used for :drilling tile. Be patient while drilling, it takes a little while. -- :H I made out fine with a cordless (12 volt) with a TG bit.
:My 1923 house has a stucco exterior that is very tough to drill into. Any :ideas? :Thanks, :Chas : I just did this with tungsten carbide drill bits. It was easy.