Drilling holes in PT posts

Would a 10 amp 1/2 Drill motor be powerfull enough to drill holes into 6x6 pressure treated beams? I have several that I need to drill holes through and I know my 3/8 drill would be toast after one or two...

Probably. Final determination is based on bit size and configuration. The manufacturer's web site will have the rated capacities in different materials.
You don't say what size holes or how many.
Your 3/8 drill will probably do just fine unless it's a really elcheapo. Buy 2 new spade bits of the size you want to drill - 2 in case you dull one if you are drilling quite a few. If you can get one of the new Irwin speedbor max bits, they're awesome, but pricey.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Size DOES matter! ;-)

I think I'd use those auger bits,like the old handbraces used,but are now updated for electric drills. They would be long enough to go thru a post without needing extensions.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Your drill should be fine. I have a selection of drills from the smallest to the Hole Hawg. In my experience you will get fair warning when you are doing too much with a drill. First you will smell it, a burning smell. If you keep going it will get quite hot and you will see smoke from the drill. Don't know what happens after that since I always go up to a larger drill when this happens.

If you are using a spade bit, it is harder to do but with a ship auger we use a drill motor like that to drill 2.5 CCA 12" dock posts. With the spade bit, just take your time and clear the chips often. It should work.
How many holes? How big? How fast? How hot is it in your area? Do you know how to lightly press a drill into the work, lightly enough that the motor doesn't stall? What's the speed rating of your drill? Is it two speed?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

For Pete's sake Chris, it's only a hole in wood! Do you have to make a project out of it?
going to drill 6x6 beams with 1/2 holes probably 12-16 of them. using an auger type bit. low speed, steady light pressure,..just needed to know if a variable speed 1/2 drill motor would do the job..

I've used a 1/2" drill to put that many holes in concrete with no problem. This should be no sweat at all. Good that you are using an auger bit as most all of the spade bits are really crappy and will take longer..

A 1/4 inch drill will do the job-- Your 3/8's is plenty. Spend your money on decent bits. [or a decent 3/8's drill if that one craps out]
Jim

NO problem for anything but the absolute cheapest crap drills. Did that with my cheap garbage 18v cordless -- no problem. Used an 18" twist bit. The auger bit fed in too fast and stalled the drill. Also stalled my makita 3/8" corded VSR. Twist bit was fine.
Like the other guy said, you'll get plenty of warning for overload if you pay attention to the drill.
Just do it!
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://pcscreenwatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Yes.

Milwaukee make 'Selfeed' bits in all sizes that are a delight to use. I've used the 1" size with a 3/8" (Milwaukee, of course) drill with no problems. These bits are usually found at industrial supply houses and electrical and plumbing distributors that cater to tradesmen. Might be at some box stores, but haven't checked. Amazon might be a source, too. HTH
Joe

Most likely. Use a spade bit.

Yes. So would the 3/8 drill if the hole diameter was sized appropriately.