Drat. I have been using TCW-3 two-stroke oil in my chainsaw gas:oil mixture for two years

Page 2 of 2

Not having a boat, I never knew there would be a 2 cycle oil for them and another for the air cooled engines. I looked at the Coastal oil you showed a pix of. It has both a boat and lawnmower on it. Site says it is good for all 2 cycle engines. Maybe it is and maybe not. Some oils seem to be rated for both. I don't use enough 2 cycle stuff to make any differance in the price of the oil mix. I doubt I use a gallon of the oil in a year or two. I noticed on some of the oil bottles say they have addativies in them that act like the Stabil to keep the gas fresh longer.
I do use the gas without ethanol in it and it seems to make a differance in how smooth some of the engines run and not gum up if not used for a long time such as my tiller that only gets used once or twice a year now. While I use most of the gas up every 2 or 3 months, I put the Stabil in it just to make sure. Probably not needed, but that way I know if I have some that is not used for a while it will have a chance of being good.

Don't get a Stihl "occasional use" saw. They should not have the Stihl brand name on them. Get one of their professional models for just a bit more money.
Pico Rico wrote:

I always look for prosumer model, one straddles between pro model and consumer model. Price is in between too. Most polular saw in our neck of wood is Stihl and Husq. Echo was now gone way side. They keep changing models and service due to parts availability is difficult.
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 06:49:17 -0400:

It says: "Forget about using TC-W3 oil, as it’s designed for water cooled engines that run at low RPMs. It will work in a pinch in chainsaws, but long term it’s not good for them. If you’re buying from a store that doesn’t specialize in chainsaws, be sure to read the fine print on any bottle you buy."
Like an auto parts store (where I bought the TCW-3 oil, for something a lot less than the $80/gallon that Lowes & Home Depot sell two-stroke oil for.
The problem, of course, is that we don't know HOW to get 2-stroke oil that should work, as we don't have any *rating* for chainsaw oil.
Oren wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:07:17 -0700:

I wonder if air-cooled motorcycle engine oil is the same as the stuff we're supposed to put into chain saws?
Is there a *rating* system that we could look for that would tell us which oil is suitable for air-cooled engines?
We know it's *not* TCW-3, but we don't know what it is.
Ed Pawlowski wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:19:28 -0400:

I had googled forever the difference between the Stihl and Husqvarna, and had gone with the Husqvarna because for the same $400 I could get a slightly better saw at the time.
What I *love* about the Husqvarna is how easily it starts!
The Sears Craftsman (Poulon) 358.351800 was miserable to start and keep running even when it was brand new.
Pico Rico wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:12:03 -0700:

IIRC, I paid around $350 to $400 for the 18" Husqvarna 445 about two years ago. I see it's around that, even now: (Amazon.com product link shortened) What Sthil would you get, for about that price?
Roy wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:59:15 -0700:

Actually, truth be told, I do much the same thing.
I keep the small 2-ouncish 40:1 bottles around, and I keep filling them, and using them with a gallon of 87AKI gas.
I figure, if some is good, more is better (to a point).

Most motocycles do not mix oil in the gas, unless it is some of the small ones. You do not use the crankcase oil and oil you mix with gas in the wrong places.
Oren wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:37:39 -0700:

The factory manual picture was posted. It has three lines, which, paraphrased, are:
1. Use Husqvarna oil. 2. Don't use TCW-rated oil. 3. If you can't use Husqvarna, use the equivalent.
Overall, that tells me nothing useful (other than TCW is bad).
Ralph Mowery wrote, on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:44:25 -0400:

I used to have a Suzuki GT380. It was a two stroke. It burned oil with the gas, although it injected it.
Danny D. wrote, on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:01:33 +0000:

UPDATE: H I just called Husqvarna back at 800-487-5951 and got a few numbers to call for my zip code (because they couldn't answer my question).
Calling those numbers, I've found that the RATING for the two-cycle oil that is used in chainsaws is apparently JASO FD &/or ISO-L-EGD.
Googling, I find this specification for two-stroke oil: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentIdh3876
First off, it says TC-W3 obsoletes TC-W & TC-WII (but, we already know we don't want TCW-anything according to the owners manual).
For the JASO FD spec, we find the following: 1. JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking. 2. JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA. 3. JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB. 4. JASO FD – same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.
For the ISO L-EGD spec, we find it refers right back to JASO: a. ISO-L-EGB – same tests and requirements as JASO FB. b. ISO-L-EGC – same tests and slightly higher detergency requirements (piston varnish) as JASO FC. c. ISO-L-EGD – same tests and requirements as JASO FD
I'm gonna print this, and tape it to my chainsaw box, along with the existing chainsaw specification list as a reminder:
Husqvarna 445 18" narrow kerf bar (aka micro lite, pixel) 0.050in pitch 0.325in gauge 0.025in height 72 drive links 3/16in file (4.8mm) 85°, 30°, 10° filing angles Use H30, G72, 95VPX072CK chain Do not use the H72 chain! 8.8oz bar oil per fill 16oz 87AKI gasoline per fill 10ml,1/3oz 2-stroke oil per fill Only JASO SD or ISO-L-EGD oil 2.5oz oil per gallon gasoline
Danny D. wrote, on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:53:32 +0000:

Here's another article, which mentions that JASO stands for the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Organization (JASO) and it explains that JASO SD is the best currently, while ISO-L-EGD is a bit more international, including American, Japanese and European engine manufacturers.
http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/articles.php?tPath=2