double wall switch - working separately, but not with eachother?!

Hi Readers, I need help with an existing double wall switch. These two switches (on opposite sides of the room) used to control an electric outlet (for a table lamp). I rewired it to control the new ceiling-mounted light fixture I installed. I did something wrong: each switch will turn the light on and off, but I cannot use one switch to turn on the light, and the other to turn it off. Any ideas on what I did wrong?
Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
You should have run your two wires from the switched outlet to the ceiling box. If you came off of one of the switches, you probably have to reconfigure the wiring for the three ways

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not from your description, but if you can post a diagram somewhere showing which wires go where, that would certainly help.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm thinking you're actually describing a pair of three way switches, google for "3 way switch" or "three way switch" and see if you find a diagram that answers your question. Sounds like you have your travelers mixed up with the line and load. (that will make sense when you find a diagram.)
good luck,
nate
http://www.lightingfacts.com/Three%20way%20switches.htm
--