double paned windows

I was considering putting film on inside pane. Spouse called Millard the maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. Why bad idea? Thanks, Seamus J. Wilson

It may void your warranty. Read the fine print...

It may void your warranty. Read the fine print...

It may void your warranty. Read the fine print

Why not ask people who said it was a bad idea?

What I heard is film traps heat, when the sun comes up the glass will expand unevenly, the coldest day in winter may be the worst. On the N side it doesnt matter and film cant have an efffect. It all depends on the type of film and how the glass is exposed, but I would not risk it. Ask a local tinting company.

They're probably thinking that the solar film will cause problems due to heat build up and it will crack the pane. This is potentially a problem when darker film is applied, though I don't know anyone that has ever had a problem with it. I do know any number of people whose windows were long out of warranty and did it with no problem.
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/qa.html#Breakage
and this from Wikipedia on Window Film:
"Selection of window film
Not all films are suitable for all glass. You must consider the absorptance of the glass and the film, the size of the pane, the thickness of the glass, the construction of the window is it single pane, insulated glass, treated (with a low-emissivity coating), laminated or toughened.
Advice on the appropriate selection of film for the glass is vital to ensure that the glass does not crack as a result of thermal stress. However, it is possible that a pane of glass may break subsequent to the application of an appropriate film, because the pane has been damaged during the glazing of the window, or as a result of movement of the building or other physical stresses that are not apparent at the time of the application of the film.
Glass may crack subsequent to the application of signwriting or if heavy, thermally efficient drapes are hung close to the glass, particularly if the edges of the glass are damaged.
The chances of glass breakage occurring subsequent to the application of film or signwriting or the hanging of drapes, are very small. However breakage can occur and it is impossible to predict the edge condition of the glass without removing it from the frame an approach that is not practical."
On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:24:07 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Two page *.pdf: (excellent)
_Thermal Stress: Film-to-Glass Compatibility_
http://www.ewfa.org/new/Thermal%20stress.pdf
(sorry my unit hiccupped three messages out)

I put foamboard I painted flat black behind single pane to insulate it in our -20f lows, the sun Melted the foamboard and cracked 2 windows, Just painting it dark brown reduced heat absorption so it worked. It was Non Uv glass so I bet the UV cooked it.

Why would you paint the foam board black or any other dark color? That's guaranteed to heat up and create a lot more thermal stress.

Pink boards in a window that say DOW are not much in style. You only see them on houses where the front door has a big orange oficial notice of no Tresspass permanently glued on.

In hindsight, do you think painting them white would have been a better choice? I suppose you could have gotten fancy and painted lace curtains on them, and from the inside painted a nice summer day scene. ;)
Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

Hi, It can crack the glass for heat build up in summer. It happened to me.