DoorKnob Spindle thread?

I have a few old doorknobs that can use a new spindle,the problem is what kind of thread is used on the spindle,the threads on most of the door knobs are stripped, I've tried 3/8x30 nuts to check the spinle threads,can't fit.The size of the spindle is 9/32 square bar/key stock
This is the only info I came up with
# Solid Steel Construction # Standard 9/32" Thickness # 20 Threads Per Inch
Is this the correct die or tap,it is used in the UK
9/32" X 20 TPI BSW

Just take the knob to a hardware store and see what size bolt/machine screw fits the threads. That is the base size you need. If it isn't available, get a threaded rod , put a nut or two on the rod and grind it down so there is a flat for the knob setscrew, and thentake the nut off over the area where you ground the flat. THe nut will rethread the rod so the doorknob will go on. This is not rocket science here.

That is the problem,I've used the closest size,3/8x16,3/8x20 and 3/8x24 nothing doing
On 10/12/2011 8:12 AM, Jeremy Suarez wrote: ...

I'm not sure what they use, either, otomh but I don't think they use a standard thread. They're more like an Acme thread or something similar altho it's not a true Acme, either.
I've got some old ones out in the shop; I'll try to find time to see if can figure out something that might work close enough that's moderately common...
On 10/12/2011 8:28 AM, dpb wrote: ...

Well, bummer! :(
The ones handy are the unthreaded type w/ threaded holes for set screw to adjust knob position. Have to look deeper into the pile of spare parts, etc., when get a chance.

I would take it down to the local hardware store and find a nut that fit. Running a hardened nut over it should clean up the threads. I dont think you can use a regular die on square stock.
Jimmie
On 10/12/2011 10:03 AM, JIMMIE wrote:

I've done it on square stock w/ rounded over corners, this for a latch for a pickup truck camper shell. (apparently no replacements were available in the configuration that I needed, but some were available that could be modified to fit.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel