Doorbell, etc. - Saving $2.50 per month!

Page 2 of 2
Bill wrote:

Yeah, but it costs you an hour a day to reset all the blinking "12:00" things.
[snip]

Use electrical tape to solve that problem.
Bill wrote:

I dropped cable and save $50 per month, every month. I'm saving 20X what your savings, and I don't have to go to any effort daily for that savings.
Bill wrote:

Nope, not when you get the oxygen machine.

Pity about the cost of all those plug boards.

You'll have to pardon us if we dont actually cream our jeans or sumfin.
What do you do about the cost of ironing your socks?

*What is the payback time for the expenses that were outlayed to do all this switching and changes? If you spent $100.00 the payback would be in 40 months based on the $2.50 per month savings.

... Not all appliances can be turned off when not in use or cutting them off is inconvenient. My (Panasonic) TV loses all the channels and time of day during a power outage, then it takes several minutes to reprogram. I would expect the microwave to keep the time of day, but after a power outage it doesn't. Recently I have been using a power strip to cut off power to a LAN switch and DSL modem--no issues cutting off these though. More savings cutting these off when cooling is needed. It's great to conserve, recycle and re-use, but there are practical limitations.

What didn't she like? I discovered that they are starting to sell CFs with a good interior color temp (2700k) and replaced about 12 60w lamps in the master bath with 75w equivalents. Aside from the slight startup delay, it made a big difference. More light, way less electric used. Sylvania sells a micro sized CF now that actually fits completely inside the fixture.

Look at Lowes or HD. They do sell CF dimmables now, but they aren't cheap.

around here they dont sell the SMALL CF dimables that fit the bath light covers
There still are very few lamps and fixtures that take advantage of the small flourescent "tubes". I see some recessed fixtures in commercial buildings but "civilians" seem to be expected to screw in a CF.
That said, I use there where I can.
I wait with bated breath the arrival of "next generation" of LED lamps.
Present generation are just UV LEDS with flourescent compounds added. Their base efficiency is about the same as flourescent technology. (As an aside, high pressure Mercury and Sodium vapor lights are more efficent the flourescent simply because the internal arc produces visible light.) To could would be a mix of "pure" colors to produce a pleasing light.
The second problem is that "they" only use resistors to limit the current the LED draws. The "electronics" of the ones I have see are some filter caps, some diodes, and a current limiting resister.
But if "they" solve those problems, the LEDs will driving the CFs out of the market within a year. Yeah, their potential is SO much better.

last june they had no mini CF that were dimable.
my wife absolutely wanted dimable ones.
I may try again but they must be white light too
I've been doing whatever I can think of to reduce my energy costs for the last 7 years.
Every time I discuss various projects on the internet, someone has told me it is a bad return on my money...
Looking at the stock market, I am quite pleased that this is where I have invested my money (on a lower cost of living).
I have a friend who went the other route and received a "high return on his investment" as advised by these people. At last count he has lost 100K on his retirement account.
So where should I invest my money instead of spending it on reducing my energy costs?