I now have an "always off" house!
The only three things which are "always on" are my phone answering machine,
the refrigerator*, and the freezer*.
*New "Energy Star" appliances.
Everything else has a handy "extension cord type switch" added next to the
appliance so I can easily turn it "totally off" when not in use.
For my computer and TV/Stereo/Entertainment center areas, I have one or more
power strips (no lights on these power strips) right next to each other so I
can easily switch on just what I need to use (not everything all on with one
power strip). Or I have little switches for one item plugged into the power
So for my entertainment system, I can separately turn on the TV, stereo,
Playstation, satellite TV, DVD, etc. I just turn on what I need. All the
switches are right in one location and labeled, so easy.
Microwave is on switch, GFCI's are switched, outlet surge protectors are
switched, garage door opener switched, HEPA air cleaners switched, window
air conditioners switched, cell phone and other battery chargers, clock on
range disconnected, space heaters switched so they are totally off, and of
course the doorbell now only uses electricity when the button is pressed.
This was a one time expense. I used money I had saved from previous energy
saving projects to pay for this. Anyway for the rest of my life I will have
a lower electric bill.
In the past people have advised me to invest my money in the stock market
(instead of in energy saving projects) because I would get a better return
on my money. I'm glad I did not do that!