Doorbell always uses electricity!

Page 4 of 10
E Z Peaces wrote:

If the Guberment says so it must be so. I just don't believe it.
Boden wrote:

Several electric utilities say so. It can also come from microarcs in transformers on poles. When they get a complaint, they check poles with an ultrasound detector to pick up noise from an arc.
When a doorbell transformer fails, I imagine it's usually an open primary. When it first opens, I imagine the vibration of the transformer could keep the break arcing indefinitely.

Yes.
Nope, that cant produce electrical interference.

Not that last bit of yours they dont.

Different effect entirely.

Yes, because thats the thinnest wire.

Nope, you wont get vibration if its got an open primary.
You dont even have enough current to maintain the arc. Completely different to pole transformers.
Boden wrote:

There's always something new to learn....
When I asked for a cite I was thinking only of properly operating doorbell equipment.
I located this FCC cite:
http://tinyurl.com/63ob78
(It's on page 14 of the .pdf document.)
It sayss there's a thermostatic overload inside (some?) doorbell xformers designed to protect them from overheating and starting a fire if the doorbell button sticks on - or there's a short in the secondary side wiring.
The report says that those thermal overloads (which I expect break the 120 volt primary circuit.) cycle off and back on around once every seven seconds and that the inductive spark at its contacts can propogate through house wiring and cause flashes of interference on a tv or "static clicks" in radios.
Who woulda thunk it?
I wonder how long that cycling mode would continue before those thermal overload contacts got burned enough to stop connecting and leave an open circuit there.
That's the second time I've made a mistake this year...Thank G_d it's almost December. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Interference from a neighbors transformer is rampant in that when people realize it uses 3 bucks of electricity a year to run they buy a couple of hundred feet of copper cable and conduit (so it's code compliant) and illegaly trench it to the neighbors power.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Do you know what voltage most (USA) doorbells operate on?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

twenty volts or under, while thermostat transformers are typically twenty four volts.
Leroy wrote:

name is?
TDD
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:14:34 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You didn't ask Jeff personally. Had you done so, it would have been an email, instead you asked a general question on Usenet, and someone was nice enough to reply with good information. And, yes, we know what your name is: "Asshole".
PeterD wrote:

I didn't ask you either. You obviously missed the point of the question, it was a little dig. I did not ask the general either. *snicker*
TDD
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:47:24 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You're still an asshole...
PeterD wrote:

I consider myself to be an actinic sphincter. It sounds more professional. People who know my mother call me SOB.
TDD
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:38:04 -0600, The Daring Dufas

(They would work just as well on lower voltage DC)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Dang! Nobody seemed to get the little dig at Jeff. What you will find are 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 and 24 volts AC. Some really old stuff will be DC dry cell powered but only if the owner wants to keep it original for nostalgic or antique collecting purposes. Most of the doorbell transformers I install have triple taps for 8, 16 and 24 volts. Many doorbells will need a 10 volt transformer and if you need 24 volts to ring your ding dong you're either deaf or have a seriously complicated system. I have setup some serious systems for industrial and commercial buildings by making use of the very loud and fun to play with devices manufactured by Edwards Signaling which now belongs to GE. My personal favorite:
http://tinyurl.com/5zkoow
TDD

Now THAT's my kind of "doorbell"!
Deaf people on the 10th floor and all the <ahem> "residents" of the nearby cemetery will take notice.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I had a friend who was having problems with Bulgarians stealing the copper and aluminum out of his small apartment complex. I took a motion sensing floodlight and an Edwards 120 volt square fire horn which we installed at the rear of the apartments. One night he was awakened by the wonderfully loud obnoxious sound of that horn accompanied by some equally loud screams and cursing in the local Bulgarian dialect. The next morning he found a lot of blood, bits of dark flesh and torn black clothing on the barbed wire fence. For some reason his losses to the vandalizing thieves abated.
TDD
I have to agree, thats a doorbell

i have a door knocker. My old house had a hand-cranked through-the-door doorbell.
No annoying ground currents to kill the Jehovah's Witnesses.
.max
--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
max wrote:

I had a big brass Taiwanese taxi horn on the door to my apartment which was at the top of an enclosed stairwell. The booming sound it made when someone squeezed that big old black rubber bulb was breathtaking. Heck that was 35 years ago, I don't recall what became of that damn thing but I wish I still had it.
Jehovah's Witnesses are fun to mess with. I had a big black cape and cap with some horns. In my best Boris Karloff voice I would invite them in explaining that I was in need of a good sacrifice. Have you ever seen a Jehovah Witness run?
TDD
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:21:14 -0800, "Bill"

I need to clear off some folks on my front stoop from time to time. Would this really work with Jahova witnessess?