Door Weatherstripping

NEW CONSTRUCTION: I installed foam tape weatherstripping on the door stop. The door was facing a southern exposure, which means about 140 degrees in the Arizona sun.
The next afternoon, I opened the door and all the weather stripping just pulled away from the door stop and much of it stuck to the door.
I then bought some metal weatherstripping, described as such: It is in the form of a piece of aluminum channel about 1/8th x 1/2 wide with a groove on one end. The rubber weatherstipping is slid into the groove, in the channel metal, just like auto windshield wipers are.
Question: Do I remove the door stop and attach the weather stripping to the jamb? or may I attach the weather stripping right on top of the door stop. I hope i'm using the right terminology...the door stop is about 3/16 x about 1 1/2 and is nailed to the door jam and the door hits it and stops. Someone told me that it is not called a door stop. eh? ????
THANX for your help..I'm desperate! Mike