Does this price seem high

I agree about the WD40. It will (and did) free it up. Now that I run it more often, the grease/oil that is in there gets moved around and it stays free to spin. Not because of the WD40 tho. It is because of it not sitting still for months. Just my opinion.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Exactly, and it is the #1 reason business startups fail. People have the attitude that even when something is reasonable they are being "ripped off" and it could be done for half or less because they just don't want to understand the costs involved.

You are probably right. Some people just have an intense hate of any business.

Reply to
George

Problem solved...if we converted to Obamacare for *everything* it would be free...

Reply to
George

I believe Ransley's point is that the poster said "condenser motor". So, it's unclear, as there are two motors involved. The big one is sealed inside the compressor, which you obviously can't nudge. Assuming it's the fan motor, then yes, you could nudge that and spray it with lube. However, since it's only 2 years old and still under warranty, it would seem that it might be better to replace it.

Reply to
trader4

Try replacing the capacitor. That might save you buying another motor. The prices sound reasonable, that is, if they diagnose correctly and fix the problem.

Reply to
Phisherman

They also have hard start kits available for the COMPRESSOR motor. However from several other bits of info provided:

It started with a nudge. How can u nudge a compressor motor?

He said he could get a new motor for $111. You can't buy a compressor for that amount

He said he could easily put it in himself, which is also something not possible with a compressor.

So, it sounds like he's talking about the fan motor. Not sure about this, but think the FAN motors do not have a start capacitor?

Reply to
trader4

My older AC has oil ports on the outside fan motor, I wonder if he ever checked his motors.

Reply to
ransley

It is VERY rare for an OEM condenser fan motor to fail in two years, though certainly not impossible. It is also about as rare to have a capacitor last for two years in the South, with the 60+ days in a row of triple digit temps, as we have had. As to the price, we would charge close to that amount to replace a warranty fan motor. A few bucks less than $275, but fairly close. Good luck Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

He said he tested it and it was good. When I buy a new motor I always get a new cap.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm going to let it go till it's cooler and hope it keeps running. When the weather is nicer I'll replace it. I'm pretty sure he said condenser motor but you raise a good question. When I was over to see if it had blown a fuse nothing on the roof was even trying to start. My past experience has been that when it's a condenser motor the compressor will kick on till it kicks back off from high pressure but nothing kicked on so I figured it was not the condenser fan. And it was so hot I didn't want to mess with it. Live and learn.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I agree that it's not at rip off level and if he had said the motor was frozen I would have gone ahead and let him do. It would have taken me another day or two to handle it and my tenants were sweltering in the heat.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The last condenser motor I replaced, several years ago, had little oil cup/channels with a small red plastic plug in them. I assume that if one was so inclined they could oil the things yearly. For the most part I've found condenser motors to last a long long time, anywhere from 5 to 15 years. This unit was only 2 years old.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The issue is that at the time replacing it was going to cost $274 in just labor. I can buy the motor for not much more then $100 and replace it myself. That leaves me $174 in my pocket for a couple hours work. If I take off the $74 service charge I'm still $100 ahead of where I'd be with the "free" motor.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Why the hostility? I've been in the rental housing business for over

30 years and this was the highest estimate I've ever had for replacing a condenser motor and in the earlier jobs the lessor prices included the motor, in this job the motor was under warranty. He told me what was wrong, what he had checked, and that if I wanted I could have the motor replaced and the labor would be the $274. I know how long it should take to replace a motor on one of these, I've done several myself when I had the time, it's about half an hours work. So it seems a little high to me.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Condenser fan motors don't have starting capacitors. The motors have a "run" capacitor with a capacitance of 5-7.5 uf typically and voltage rating of 370-440 volts AC. The run capacitors are oil filled. The start capacitors will often but not always be for the compressor and those are electrolytic capacitors with a wide range of capacitance values. The compressor will have an oil filled run capacitor with a typical value of 35-50 uf and 370-440 volts AC. Not all AC condensing units have a start capacitor or a start assist device from the factory, it is an option. Most of the AC condensing units for homes have a three terminal oil filled capacitor for the fan and compressor. It will be marked "C" common, "F" fan and "H" hermetic with hermetic meaning the compressor.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Won't the manufacturer give you a new motor in place of the old one?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How would I arrange that with "Goodman" since I'm not a "dealer" or whatever? I think theoretically it should be possible.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Call the dealer, He may do the swap for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski