Do they have to touch and would too much oil interfere in their touching?

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 8:18:51 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Dad's '60 Caddy had an excellent tube radio...the buzz nearly imperceptible. And you could get to the tubes and vibrator easily...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

The antenna built into the window was a dipole FM antenna.

You'll not see the loop antenna, it's built into the radio body.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Ferrite_antenna.jpg

I have seen plenty of the antennas similar to that in radios, but not in one that is used in a car which is the topic of the discussion.
Even back in the 1950s when almost all car radios were AM they used an external whip type of antenna.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:05:10 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

...And the radio will not work without it so there is no "built in " loop. Truth be told, AM will work with just about anything for an antenna if you are anywhere near the station but you need something.

I have not looked at any of the newer car radios, but I bet they do not have a loop type like that pix in them any more as they are most likely synsitised and use a crystal and digital circuits for tuning.
Those old loops ere not only for signal pickup, but part of the tuned circuits for the AM radios.
Yes, for AM almost anything will receive the signasl of the stronger local sttions. That is why many of the home and pocket AM receivers did not have an external antenna. They just used the loop inside them that was also the tuned circuit to tune in the stations.
loop antennas are used for AM portable and home radios.
Loop antennas are NOT used for car radios.
On 1/27/2016 2:18 PM, Micky wrote:

Mistake to use Sta-bil as residue from evaporation could make it worse. If I were you, I'd clean it off before using any oil. If it's dirty you could gum it up worse.
On 1/27/2016 2:18 PM, Micky wrote:

No oil. Use silicone spray lube.
On 1/27/2016 3:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd like silicone in this application.
If your antenna stays up for more than five hours, see your mechanic.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:18:31 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

Sell the car...you're not safe driving.
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:18:31 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/8838-power-antenna-fix-pics.html

Those mechanisms can slip. Use a little wipe of oil off rag. Don't over use oil. Mineral oil, CRC 2-26, silicon spray, or silicon oil. Some tire blacks are silicon oil.
Greg