DO NOT STORE ANY GOODS ABOVE THE TANK.

Is this true:
CAUTION: DO NOT STORE ANY GOODS ABOVE, UNDER OR IN THE PROXIMITY OF THE TANK.
That's what the installation manual says, for an indoor oil tank, at the url that someone gave recently.
I'm sure if the tank leaks, it will dirty anything underneath it, but what harm can it do to the things above and in the proximity of the tank? What harm can they do to the tank?
Also it said:

Most tanks I've seen have been in a corner or at least against a wall. How can they be visually inspected?

2 inches? Are they going to come with a special tool? I can't even get my eye less than two inches from the wall unless my body is parallel to the wall.

I'm ok there. No vehicular traffic in my basement.

I suspect that storing things near the tank, especially above the tank, is a good way to contaminate those things .

An inspection mirror on a stick will help you here. Any auto parts store or machinists' supplier will have these.
Dave M.
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com says...

You want a free flow of air around the tank. Anything stored in proximity of the tank will restrict the air and may trap moisture.

You want air behind the tank. If it's too close, any moisture coming through the wall will be trapped up against the tank = rust. I had one placed too close to the wall. Two weeks before we were to move it sprung a leak along the rear seam (after filling, of course). I really didn't need to spend that $1000. Follow the instructions!
--
Keith

It seems like the 2 inches they specify would itself be too close if they want it where it can be visually inspected.

I didn't get any instructions until 3 days ago! :)
David, I have been storing things near and above the tank for 20 years, and they are just as clean as anything in the basement. Maybe a little dust but not much. No oil, for sure. The surface of the tank seems just as clean as it was 20 years ago.
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com says...

The 2" isn't for inspection, rather air flow to allow the wall to breathe and keep the tank dry.

It's got nothing to do with how clean the stuff is, it matters how much air gets behind the tank.
--
Keith

Why not ? <LOL>