Do I need to mud/tape and/or paint before I tile?

Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand), and prime the wallboard before installing wall tile? I'd like to avoid some or all of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project time (yes, I said a month). Any advice is appreciated.
-Mike
You don't have to do anything, but if the results are not satisfactory, you have only yourself to blame.

Is that a yes, a no, or an 'I don't know'?

If you're not using the newer wallboard types rated for under tile use, just slop it together any old way. I won't last but a few years anyway.
Joe

Humor me - let's pretend, just for the sake of my question, that I'm using the correct type of wallboard. If you really don't know, why waste the bandwidth answering a question that I didn't ask?
-Mike

Just pretnding that you have sutable substrate, any one who has even dabbled or worked with tile will tell you that NOTHING beats dead flat for getting a decent job. So tape it, setting type mud or whatever, sand it dead flat and tile. The reason you do that is because when you come to the humps, the grout lines get noticeably bigger. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. Good luck.
Joe

No need to pretend - this wall will never see water, so a $5 sheet of 1/2" sheetrock will do just fine. I've done a fair amount of tiling over the years and, on a new wall, I've always taped, mudded, and primed before tiling. It's always been 'dead flat' before I started. If time wasn't a consideration, I wouldn't even have asked the question. Surely, you can appreciate my desire to find out which corners I can safely cut without compromising the job (my 'month' comment was not an exaggeration).

I tile right over the un-prepped wallboard. Been doing it for 15 years this way - no problems.
Vin - http://AutoSmash.com
Mike wrote:

You don't even have to tile, if you don't want. After all, you are your own boss.
| Is there a need to mud, tape, sand (yes, sand),
...............mud , tape 1 coat to seal wall joints ...............and no sanding is required
and prime the | wallboard before installing wall tile?
..............no need to prime
I'd like to avoid some or all | of these steps and, in so doing, shave a month or so off the project | time (yes, I said a month).
.................you just shaved off 2 weeks worth of work (for you anyway)
Any advice is appreciated.
...............I hope this advice is appreciated. ...............seeing how no one else answered you.
| | -Mike |

The problem is that I only get a few hours on the weekend that I can devote to this project, so any savings is significant.

My thoughts exactly. And, indeed, it is appreciated. I've often wondered why people bother responding if they can neither answer the question nor offer any useful advice.
-Mike