do all projects end like this?

Page 2 of 2
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It's brick, that's why I haven't even started yet. And the inside walls are plaster. Two materials I have no experience working with.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It will be easier to match the brick than siding, IMO, In my last house I had to do the same. Window was not only shorter but narrower. The match was not perfect, but close enough. If you've never worked with brick, try to get some help. It is not hard but takes practice to get perfect.
My last house was built in the 1920's.
NOTHING was as it seemed. and every one-day project took a week.
One memorable event involved trying to fish electric cable thru 2 floors of lath & plaster wall.....
BTW; Lath&plaster will dull a circular saw blade in about 15 seconds....
<rj>
DerbyDad03 wrote:

A dog ain't as much fun to have around. (Leastways, I hope not...)
aem sends...
Nate Nagel wrote:

Be more charitable next time - help support your local plumber :o)

Consider yourself fortunate if it stops there. There have been cases where it progressed to replacing the house. ;)
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Houses are cheap. Women who will let you live inside are priceless....
aem sends...
"Nate Nagel" wrote

==It's because you called her "girlie." Chicks hate that. She cursed you.
Gini wrote:

Try "Chicklet", that should go over well... assuming you have good insurance...

Of course not. Most are worse. Last time I decided to paint the family room (1 gallon for ceiling, 2 for walls) I ended up spending $3000 and two weeks.
Not sure about "all", but certainly most do.
I'm finding that many things nickel and dime me to death. My "free" computer that I got this year. Just needs an ethernet card and a bigger drive. Drive from Ebay, $50, and then take it to my computer wizzard to get it upgraded. About $125 later, I've got an ethernet card. Worked for about six weeks, and then something died. Back to the guy, to charge me $25 to tell me it's beyond repair. So, I've got $200 invested in a free computer. Well, for $300 I could have had a new surplus one from Pricewatch.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Nate Nagel" < snipped-for-privacy@roosters.net> wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If your hand fits a screwdriver, both the ethernet card and hard drive replacement are, together, a two-minute job.
Hard drive manufacturers have downloads on their sites (for free) that will copy your stuff from your old hard drive to the new hard drive.
Assuming you're running some variety of windows, visit the "msnews.microsoft.com" newsgroup directory, pick the site that seems best and post your question. There are, for example, 13 different newsgroups involved with Vista, 27 for XP. These are in English; there are more if you count Italian, French, etc.
They do at my very old house!
Basically whenever I tear anything apart, I find more problems and the project winds up costing a lot more than I expected.
For example I had a leaky horizontal drain pipe going from the kitchen sink to outside. A few bucks to replace right? NO! I wound up having to replace that pipe, the pipe going down, and the pipe going all the way under the house to the other side of the house.
The previous owner of the house installed this drain pipe (under the house) basically level. Then proceeded to fill it up with grease from the kitchen. It was solid grease for the entire length of the pipe. Then they poured tons of drain cleaner into the drain which ate away at the pipes and it was actually draining out the bottom of the pipe and not a drop going into the sewer. Luckily plastic drain pipe is not too expensive, so was just a lot of work. (I installed the new drain pipe at the correct angle.)
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Bill wrote:

Chuckle. I <always> plan on a project taking twice as long as it should, and costing half again as much money. I also try to plan a fallback position- if the project utterly crashes and burns on me, how do I keep the house livable and weather proof, etc, in the meantime, while I call in professional help? (I'm a big believer in having shutoff valves on plumbing runs, replacing all the replaceable pieces as long as I have something apart anyway, etc. And never start a plumbing project past noon on Saturday- starting later will ensure you are missing a needed part when the stores close.) Parts are cheap, my time and ambition are precious. If I don't have a warm fuzzy that I can do something successfully, I hire it out, and watch and learn for next time.
aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Past noon? The real plumbing supply place near me closes at 1PM on Saturday, leaving me only the fallback of Home Despot until Monday evening. You're a lucky man.
Yes, I started demoing my sink drain at about 8AM on Saturday because I figured I would demo first, then buy what I needed before the store closed. Came upstairs while I was getting ready to leave and SWMBO was asleep with a pillow over her head. :)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
aemeijers wrote:

Parts (both plumbing and electrical) are cheap, so I keep well stocked parts kits with everything I might need for the typical projects. I figure the perhaps $100 (combined) in parts on hand will easily save that just in the gas that would otherwise be required to run out and get parts as needed.
Pete C. wrote:

(snip)
I'll agree with that. I'm not organized enough to build a stockpile in any planned fashion, but I always keep any extra parts- every few years I get motivated enough to sort out all the misc screws, bolts, brackets, etc. And when I replaced some 2-hole outlets and some worn-out switches, I rounded up the numbers and bought the 'contractor' 10-packs, since the unit cost was lower anyway. I've used a couple from shelf stock since then. Fasteners, unless they are expensive, I will buy by the box instead of the overpriced baggies.
I <really> need to get off my ass (and off this time-sucking Usenet) and sort out that island of trash-picked milk crates in my basement, where my tool and part stockpiles have sat since I moved in 2.5 years ago. They are <kind of> sorted by category, but small bins (that I don't have) on a bank of shelves down there (that I haven't built yet) would work SO much better...
(the milk crates did work out pretty well in the 2x5 patio storage closet in the apartment where I lived for 12 years before buying the house...)
aem sends...

My mom wanted to replace an old toilet seat and ended up remodelling the bathroom. (the bozo handyman cracked the toilet yada yada)

<...>
Doug's law of old houses: Every little project has a big one hiding behind it.
-- Doug