DIY showerhead flow restrictor

I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)91704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors
Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Stephens-S01080-Plastic-Shower-Head-Flow-Restrictor-2-5-GPM
On 2/6/14 10:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:

/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid91704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-
Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors

trim it but that wouldn't be too difficult. Another thought would be to use a nickel or quarter.

I've got very hard water. Metal fixtures have minerals build up really fast. Maybe there is a rubber end cap seal that would be the right size. Second link looks like a spare button from my sewing kit.
On 2/6/2014 12:07 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Knockout plug will likely rust (being steel based). Coins less likely to rust.
Hey, I've got a sink where I fill my bucket for washing the truck. If I put in a low flow aerator on my sink, will I save a lot of water?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/6/14, 11:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:

How about a nylon washer ??
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-2-in-Nylon-Washers-2-Pieces-87518/202210267

Looks close. But that's a big orifice. Maybe 10 gpm.

Cut one from a pop bottle cap and give it a try...

Or a CPVC plug...

I found a W-11 Caplug in my junk box. Cut out inside dimension "C" and trimmed with an Exacto to 11/16". Looks good - I'll see what complaints I hear tomorrow.
http://www.caplugs.com/productdetails.aspx?id 00016&itemno=W+SERIES
"Stumpy" wrote in message
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous prices for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)91704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors
Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much.
http://www.pexsupply.com/Jones-Stephens-S01080-Plastic-Shower-Head-Flow-Restrictor-2-5-Gpm
Go to Ace or another hardware and look through the rubber faucet washers. They are about 1/2 inch diameter and check the hole sizes. WW

You and I are pretty much opposites. I remove the flow restrictors from my shower heads.
If I could heat the water from a hydrant, I'd shower with a fire hose.
To each...
On 2/6/2014 4:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Then use another hole punch to put a hole of the desired size in that.

Well, I didn't change the flow on the one I use. We have 3 users these days, 75 gal water heater. I have to turn the heat up high so that when diluted down to a comfortable temperature, it can supply 3 showers. User 1 takes a couple minute shower. User 2 takes a long, long shower. User 3 sometimes runs out of hot water. Tomorrow user 2, which is not me, will use ~1/2 his normal water volume and if wifey doesn't run out when it's her turn, then I can lower the setpoint. My personal routine will not change.
I'm trying to follow in LdB's footsteps from that earlier thread.
'Stumpy[_2_ Wrote:

No, what you want to do won't work.
You will reduce the flow through the shower head, but unless you do something about the size and number of spray holes in the shower head itself, then the flow rate out of each hole won't be sufficient to create a "spray". Instead, you will turn your shower head into one that merely "spills" water on you at 1.5 gallons per minute.
In order to get satisfactory shower performance at low flow rates, the shower head itself has to be designed with fewer and/or smaller holes so that the flow rate through each hole is high enough to create a spray. Without doing that, you'll only be spending time and money creating aggrivations.
This company makes and sells excellent low flow shower heads:
'High Efficiency Toilets, Low Flow Showerheads, High Efficiency Aerator' (http://www.niagaraconservation.com /)
'Water Saving Shower Heads | Water Efficient, Low Flow Shower Heads' (http://tinyurl.com/msed3p3 )
The N2150-TP is a low flow shower head that comes with a thin wrench which prevents anyone tampering with the shower flow rate setting, which you might find appealing.
--
nestork

Interestingly the model I have and want to continue to use after modification is this one:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
It must have a molded plastic chamber behind the spray holes because it never clogs with minerals like the metal ones do. Visually it still has a nice spray after reducing the flow rate. I'm not saying a thing - I wonder if I even hear a comment tomorrow at breakfast.
On 2/6/2014 8:42 AM, Stumpy wrote:

That was a thread that I started.
You should be able to find something in the sprinkler head section of a hardware store.
Personally I think that those flow restrictors are counter-productive because it just takes longer to have a complete shower and water usage isn't going to be appreciably reduced.
The hot-water reduction system trains the user to take faster showers but doesn't make it an annoying experience by lowering the water pressure.
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:42:38 AM UTC-6, Stumpy wrote:

same head as in the other bathroom. The Google search show ridiculous pric es for a plastic disk with a hole drilled in it. (Amazon.com product link shortened) ng-Shower-Reducers-Regulators-Adaptors/dp/B009XVDPBS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitch en-bath&ie=UTF8&qid91704293&sr=1-1&keywords=Saving-Shower-Reduce rs-Regulators-Adaptors Would a hardware or plumbing store have a blank 1/2" plastic disk I could drill myself? 1.5 gpm is still too much. http://www.p exsupply.com/Jones-Stephens-S01080-Plastic-Shower-Head-Flow-Restrictor-2-5- GPM
We're all waiting to hear the results!!!!
On Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:42:38 AM UTC-6, Stumpy wrote:

We're all waiting to hear the results!!!!
Oh well, It was noticed right away. I just mumbled something about water pressure, drought, utility bills, etc. but the restrictor is staying in place. Phase 2 of lowering the temperature will start this weekend.
On 2/7/2014 10:26 AM, Stumpy wrote:

Be interesting to see if your actions result in lower fuel and water bills. Please let us know what results.
--
.
Christopher A. Young