Disposing of Bleach Water

Page 1 of 3
Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.
Thanks.
-Fleemo
Pour it in the neighbors yard to see if it hurts anything or not.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

How about putting a lid on it and saving it in the garage for next time?
Bob
Usually, by the time I get done with it, it's pretty murky stuff. If I used it over and over again, I feel I'd be contaminating things more than cleaning 'em. And I've got to get rid of the stuff eventually. :/
-Fleemo

I am no gardening expert, but pouring it down the drain is no different from washing clothes with bleach. It ends up in the same place. People have been doing that for decades.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

I would not put it on anything living. On the other hand, if you have some drive or sidewalk where a little moss likes to grow, you can pour it on that. As it dries the bleach will go into the air, it does not dry on the surface. It will kill grass etc if you pour it on the lawn.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
It's good for bathing kittens in.
<DIV>It's good for bathing kittens in.</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080>........and guys named Matt</FONT><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

it's not safe to pour on the ground where you have living plants, as it will kill everything.
you could just let it sit in the sunlight, and the chlorine will break down over a period of a few days, and you'll be left with just water. if you're not on a septic tank, you could just pour it down the drain, or you could pour it in the gutter and it will just evaporate.
On 1/24/2005 1:23 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

or septic system? If a sewer system, part of the water treatment is chlorinating, so you're giving it a head start. Dump it in the toilet or kitchen sink. I have a septic system, but I also have a dry well that the laundry/dishwasher/bathwater/and sink waste goes into. I dump it in the kitchen sink, or any tub, shower or sink that needs cleaning.
--
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

with stuff, you've basically got a weak solution of table salt left over.
As long as there isn't a lot of solid crud (enough to clog a drain) in the bucket, just dumping down the drain is fine -- that's where the bleach water from the washer goes, after all.
Dumping on the lawn works fine, too -- just dilute it well (run the ol' hose in the bucket for ten minutes or so).
Andy Hill wrote:

What about the traces of nasty chlorinated organic compounds you just created?
bob

The solution to polution is dilution as an environmental engineer once told me. If you dilute it with the ole garden hose it will become harmless. Stick the bucket on the driveway, stuff a hose into it and let if flow.....when it doesn't smell like bleach, dump the bucket...done deal.......Ross
replying to Ross Mac, McStreamy wrote: No, the solution to pollution is NOT dilution! No one says that anymore but crusty old engineers because it is NOT TRUE!
I presume you are using it outside? Personally I would dump it in the street. It will dissipate before it can hurt anything.
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. I really appreciate it. :)
-Fleemo
replying to toller, McStreamy wrote: PLEASE NO!!! If your street has storm drains that nasty sludge will flow into the nearest natural body of water! Please pour it down a sink or toilet so it is treated like sewage.
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 9:44:05 PM UTC-5, McStreamy wrote:

You're 11 yrs too late...he's already dumped it down the storm drain. Sorry!
replying to bob_villain, McStreamy wrote: I know. I'm just hoping others who stumble upon this will avoid the bad advice.

chlorine bleach is a very toxic poison to humans and the environment
use it up or pour it down the drain
natural bleach substitutes can be made from citrus jiuces and/or hydrogen peroxide